Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1987 300SDL. 1984 300SD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went for a weekend trip to Los Angeles and car was running fine all weekend. I left the car in a slightly inclined parking space overnight for less than 12 hours and no start. :mad:

More than half a tank of fresh diesel, hooked it up to charger for a few hours and it almost turned but didn't. Fuel pre filter has diesel intermittently, it bubbles and fuel will come and go when trying to start. Tried to level then start, it cranks and wants to turn but no go. I was forced to have a friend pick me up and drive me to San Diego.

I left battery on 2amp slow charge overnight but have not yet been able to get back up there nor have a friend try. Any suggestions before I go back up there :confused:

I bought a fuel pre filter and a fuel filter. They are both plastic, did they give me the right ones or are there three? I know one is the pre filter by looking at it in the car.

Glow plug light comes on then off when warm like normal when trying to turn over.

I can't think of anything else to include but please let me know if you can help or need more info!

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
I hope you did not put gas in a 300SDL... anyway, if it won't crank, battery is the first thing to check.

Dave

·
Registered
1987 300SDL. 1984 300SD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Gas, what is that? its diesel, thanks for the reply! I did realize I wrote gas but I put in diesel. Force of habit

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
A clogged pre-filter can cause no starting. Your description also indicates a possible air leak.

You should have been sold a clear inline filter and a canister main filter for the injectors, located near the p/s pump. The canister filter is often not bad, just the pre-/in-line filter.

When you replace the inline filter make sure all the connections are secure and there are no leaks. Your 603 auto primes the IP to get the air out but often a lot of cranking is required. It will sound like it’s fuel starved and won’t start but keep at it until it fires up.

·
Registered
1987 300SDL. 1984 300SD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. Had my friend try to turn it over last night, still no go. I have read a few other posts with cars not starting on incline. Would it be beneficial to fill the tank up and change pre fuel filter before starting. It is hard to do things with my car 150 miles away. I am wondering if it needs towed or if I can get it started if I go up there again:(

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Jeff619 said:
Would it be beneficial to fill the tank up and change pre fuel filter before starting.
It wouldn't hurt. I did not know your were not with your car - yes, I guess you'll need to get it towed to somewhere you can work on it. Replace the inline filter, make sure there are no leaks, and crank the hell out of it.

I don't think being parked at an incline has anything to do with the problem, btw.

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
jdc1244 said:
I don't think being parked at an incline has anything to do with the problem, btw.
Well air tends to go to the highest place.....

gr J

·
Registered
03SL55AMG,2008 F430spider
215 Posts
Gas In Diesel...i Was In Long Island Last Weekend In Glencove...while Filling Up My 300sdl With Diesel,the Attendant At The Gas Station Ask Me If I Need A Gallon Of Regular/premium Gas First To Fill In The Car???i Did Not Understand...so I Asked Him Why?? He Says People Around Here Are Routinely Filling Up Thier Diesel Mb Even The Newer Ones With A Gallon Of Gas Then Rest Of The Tank With Diesel??? Why

Any Thoughts.

Vijay

·
Registered
1987 300SDL. 1984 300SD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tell you the truth I am leery of even putting diesel in my Benz. I have been working on a biodiesel processor recently and hope to make the switch real soon. When I get the SDL started that is..... Biodiesel is much easier on diesel engines. I know several people running straight bio now and they are running nice! Smells better too. :eek:

·
Registered
1987 300SDL. 1984 300SD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AzimuthAviation said:
Have you tried the "tow/push start method? Maybe a sustained engine turning over at higher speed would get the fuel flow or heat the cylinders up enough to get it to fire off.
Its too heavy for my friends to get out of their driveway so they wouldn't be able to push it. I have to get it started soon, everyone is giving me crap. :eek: I did talk this car up before I bought it saying its going to outlast their new cars when they would ask why I was buying a 20 year old car. Some people just don't understand the love we have for these cars do they?

Anyway, headed up tonight to throw in some diesel and switch out the pre-filter. If that does not work I will tow it to a place to look at it. I hate letting other people touch my baby. :mad:

·
Registered
1987 300SDL. 1984 300SD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good news, I had the SDL towed to a AAA repair shop. I told them the situation, he re-charged my battery and it started right up. :) I told him about the incline and how I already re-charged and he showed me some leaks around my injection pump area. He said on the hill their probably was not enough fuel getting to the injectors. I am going to change my filters none the less and get those leaks resealed.

Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. :bowdown:

I am also really impressed with AAA's service, I don't know why I did not have them to begin with!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts