Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1987 300d sedan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm about two months into my relationship with a 87 300D. It's been Grand! I've not gotten too deep yet but have replaced the blower motor, and the flex pipe on the exhaust manifold.

I Need some advice.

The most pressing need is the diesel dripping off the bottom of the injection pump. I'm assuming it is the O rings & or Crush washers at the delivery valves. I am considering just changing the O rings and don't have the 32 point special socket to do this. Does anyone know where I can buy the socket or have one to sell me? Is there a way to do this without the socket?

The other troublesome item is all the oil leaking down the engine onto the alternator and on the right side. I'm assuming that is a sure sign of a head gasket. I thought I read somewhere that you might be able to get by with just tightening the head bolts???? Am I dreaming or wishful thinking or is it a prudent step to try b4 tearing the engine down?
I've got the original #14 head. If I do take the head off shall I replace it with an updated head or can the #14 be successfully used for the long haul?

Thanks for any help or advice.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
You'll need the socket, and just go ahead and do both the o-rings and crush washers; they're cheap. You can buy the socket at the dealer, ZDMak, Samstag or most of your favorite online vendors dealing with Mercedes parts.

I'll be replacing my o-rings/crush washers shortly, and will be posting up a few pics of the procedure.

The oil drip onto the alternator might just be the timing chain tensioner, so make sure it's tight and the crush washer is sealing correctly.

·
Registered
1987 300d sedan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
Just purchased the crush washers and o ring kit from mercedes source and the socket (ouch) from zdmak.

We'll just continue dripping till the parts come in the mail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts