Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
13,121 Posts
Was the OEM sensor a 4 wire? If not, then ditch the brown. Do the full tune up. Cap, rotor, wires and plugs. Get NON-RESISTOR plugs. (Denso T20EP-U) With these steps, you will at least have a base line to start from. When was the last actual tune up done on the car?

Jayare

·
Registered
1980 300SD
209 Posts
I think my o2 just had 2 wires. I'd put a compression tester on each cylinder and see if you have a serious problem before I started throwing more money and time at it.

·
Registered
1989 300E
19 Posts
Hello again, you keep checking cheap senors as though that could possibly be your problem.....It is not! You state that every 300 miles your oil light goes off.....it goes off when your a quart low on oil!!!! That should alarm you, and that should tell you that you have an oil leak! Since you have a 260 which is known to lose a quart every 300 miles through the valves thats 99% your problem. You can wast time checking and changing sensors but a gas engine can not run on oil........ thats why your ideals rough and dies. Sorry but I know this because I just did this to one of mine! Do you want to fix it yourself? It will cost 400.00 - 650.00 bucks and take about 12 - 18 hours if you have never done this before. I can send you step by step instructions with photos from when I did mine. This is a hard job because of the time involved but not complicated....let me know

Brian

·
Registered
1987 260e, 1998 VW glx vr6 vento
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I did check the plugs, just dark from to much fuel. There was no sludge just a deep black color. I would like the step by step I will do it myself if I have to no problem. Also any unique tools tips would be helpful. As well of a list of the exact things I need to do this so I can order everything at once.

Cheers

·
Registered
1989 300E
19 Posts
?????Where is all that oil?

No Problem I will get that to your email......where in the world is all that oil going? Do you have a head gasket leak?

Brian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I am seeing oil on the under side of the engine but not enough to leave any residue on the garage floor

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Brian, Was wondering about the email. Also Javare when you say cap do you meen distribuor cap?

·
Registered
1989 300E
19 Posts
Email

Just sent it this eveing it was 7mgs with photos let me know if you get it if not I will have to find some way to zip it or burn it to a disk and mail it to you....The photos are invaluable!

Brian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Brian is there any way you could post to a website or something along those lines. I have tried everything from converting to downloading updates for microsoft. Only thing I know is since you have a version of microsoft that is 2007 or newer the file is incompatible with my version. Just let me know and thanks again for you diligence

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes-Benz 260E (badged as 300E)
1 Posts
When the oil level warning light comes on, are you adding oil without checking the level on the dipstick? The warning light comes on quite a long time before reaching the bottom line on the dipstick, and it occurs to me that unless you've verified the warnings, you might have overfilled the sump. That's a very bad thing to do, as it says on the oil filler cap.

That said, I don't know whether an overfilled engine will behave the way you've described, but before you dismantle every darned thing and ferret around in the electronics and so forth, you ought to be sure such a basic thing is right.

Decide if you've got the right amount of oil in the sump, correct it if you haven't, and then try the car again. Only then get into the complicated stuff, I'd suggest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
John,

I had checked the oil levels prior. The sound of the engine has never been quite right, so the valve rebuild is already under way. Thanks for the imput and any future details you might have please let me know

Kewr

21 - 33 of 33 Posts