Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1987 260e, 1998 VW glx vr6 vento
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yall, I have just found your forums and am at a breaking point. My car is dead in the water and this is my daily driver. Here are symptoms leading upt to the problem and the problem at hand. Any advice would truly be apprecieted bare in mind I can do the work, but will need some guidance.

Ok have had to start adding oil about every 300 miles light turns on when breaking and turning. Add oil everything ok. Idle has been heavy and getting worse finally caused th car to die. It also had a really heavy shake prior to its death. The car still starts and drives, but is starting to die. I can drive on the freeway fine its just in town where the problems are huge. I love this car and can not afford to pay a shop to fix this. They said it is probably a valve issue, so 2000 grand is not a good answer.

Any help would be great. Like I said I am no mechanic, but have done alot of work to my old truck. I can do the work just need help.

Also am smelling some gas

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,696 Posts
Kewr,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find this a great place to learn about your car. It is going to help us tremendously, in helping you, if you'll fill out your profile. Let us know more about your car, it's history, what has been done to it, miles and so on. You may also have another forum near you that could help out or direct you towards someone who could.

That said, it sounds to me that your O2 sensor has reached the end of it's life. You'll find it located under the car, on the exhaust pipe ahead of the cat, passenger side. You can get a bosch unit that is intended for a 90's V6 Chrysler mini van and splice it into your MB connector. The connector is located under the front passenger carpet and exits the car where the tranny tunnel meets the floor pan. It should have a vivid blue plactic shielding around it.

I mention the mini van part only because the OEM replacement will run you over $100 bucks. The mini van part will be under $40 . In the meantime, lift the carpet, pull the plug and see if your car improves once it's warmed up. You are running very rich and a bad O2 sensor will cause that.

Good Luck and again, welcome

Jayare

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jayare,

Thanks alot I will be under the car tomorrow when the light breaks. Also am getting alot of heat through the vents. Would this also be a symptom of the O2 sensor?

·
Registered
1989 300E
19 Posts
Don't Pay 2000.00 for a valve Job

Hello welcome to the post!

I have had similer problems with my 260E, let me ask you something. When you start the car does the engine sputter like its going to die until you rev it up?

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Then it will eventually got back to a hard idle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I had to look right away. I am not finding where I unplug it. Is it directly under the drivers side seat?

·
W124 Moderator
12,696 Posts
passenger side. base of the tranny tunnel and floor pan joint. you have to take the carpet out (floor) It is the only thing you'll see with a rubber grommet protecting it as it passes through. It should be a two wire lead.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
Disconnect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose and see if fuel leaks out. The regulator is under the front edge of the air cleaner and it has one pipe going in the end and one coming out the side. Also a vacuum hose connected to the other end.

You could also have leaking o-rings between the fuel distributor and the EHA valve. Here's a shot of the EHA. It's the black thing on the left with two screws attaching it to the fuel distributor.
http://www.bos-engel.com/benz/idleswitch.jpg

·
Registered
1989 300E
19 Posts
Hello,

Pull you spark plugs, if they are covered in oil then your valves stem seals are leaking. This is very common for our cars! What happens is that when your car sits oil leaks into the cylinder and fouls out the plugs so when you go to start your car it runs very rough until it burns all the oil off the plugs. Then as your driving when oil leaks into the cylinder the car wil "Stumble" rughly as it burns the oil. You probably won't see any smoke from this, I never did and thats why it can be tricky to diagnose. Go get the valves done, shouldnt cost more the $1,000.00 or you could change the seals yourself, its not to hard and will cost you about $150.00 and you don't have to remove the head. However, if you have the valve job done they will pull the head and replace not just the seals but also the valve stem guides! To really do this right you need to do that, but the cheaper valve seal replacment will really help and probably last you eight months to a year. It sounds like you have some other issues, OVP or O2 sensor maybe bad, but fix this first and the other things will be much easier to pinpoint.

Brian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fellas no luck even getting the o2 sensor to budge gonna bring it in to get taken off. I used a bolt loosening spray and am letting it sit until manana. Checked the sparked just extremely dark no sludge thought just consistent with running rich. Will update when I get further. My only other concern is I am still loosing that oil would that still be the o2 sensor?

·
W124 Moderator
12,696 Posts
The O2 sensor and oil consumption have no relationship. First things first. Did you find the plug for the sensor and unplug it?

Jayare

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, and it is unplugged. Some difference, but nothing to write home about

·
Registered
1980 300SD
209 Posts
Unless the oil is leaking or going into your coolant, it must be burning it. I had a 5.0L Mustang that would burn just as much oil but it ran awesome.

I did the o2 sensor on my 260e. Just use a small hammer to tap the wrench to break it free. Just make sure you're turning it the right way! I bought an aftermarket sensor from NAPA and it didn't come with a plug so I just had to splice it under the car and shove the butt connectors inside the frame rail afterwards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, This will sound stupid, but I know that turning to the left is the correct way to loosen the bolt, but this sucker will not budge.

·
Registered
1980 300SD
209 Posts
If the wrench handle was pointing towards you, and you made it go from right towards the left, that would tighten it. I don't know, the whole left right thing is confusing. Clockwise tightens anyway.

Did you hammer on the wrench? Hard? Hit it like you want to break it! Hit it at the end of the wrench furthest from the bolt forcing it in a counterclockwise direction (when viewing the bolt from the top). If it still doesn't want to move put a small torch on it just make sure you cut the wires off first so you don't start the wire on fire. Get it super hot, that may loosen it once it cools.

I changed my center muffler too, that stuff under the car is not easy to take apart!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank God I have a torch. Should I be concerned with this being th o2 sensor that I will have contact with gas. I Know I shouldnt be , but it has beening running rich and if there has been a build up I dont want a blow up

·
Registered
1980 300SD
209 Posts
Well if the fuel concentration in the exhaust was enough to ignite, it would be doing so while the car is running. Besides, even if it did it would just expand out the tailpipe.
I'm suprised your is so hard to get off. Hope you get it! Sometimes spraying a good penetrating oil and leaving it for a couple of days works wonders.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, 4 guys a lift and twenty bucks got the o2 sensor out. Got it in and wired right. still have a idle that is heavy. I know it needs a full tune up, but what would be the next step to work this heavy idle situation out. Thanks again for everyones help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have let the engine run or a while and after a couple minutes the o2 light comes on. I installed a four wire universal o2 sensor 2 white"heaters" 1 black signal and 1 brown as ground from what I understand. Is this correct?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts