Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for community feedback! I recently got my 190e back on the road after it sat for over 20 years. After fresh oil, tires, plugs etc, I installed new fuel pumps and a filter. Lately I have been driving it once a week to "break it in". I noticed that the fuel gauge does not work and is stuck at half, drove to the nearest gas station just to be safe and added some fuel system cleaner before adding about 5 gallons of gas.

After driving less than a mile it stalls out. I put it in park, turn the key and it immediately starts right back up like nothings wrong. I do this multiple times before noticing that if I let the car coast/idle it does not stall but if I accelerate too fast or get the economy meter too far into the red it stalls out. I let it roll in DRIVE just barely pressing the gas and it did not stall once over a 5 mile drive.

What is your take on this? I never actually removed the fuel tank to clean it. My guess is that the fuel system cleaner knocked some varnish loose and accelerating to quickly is gumming it up and making it stall. How much would a shop charge to properly clean my fuel tank, what else should I look out for?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think your suspicion is likely to be correct. Not sure about the cost of a fuel tank and system clean-out since it also depends on who does the work and what part of the country you're in. It will be worth it whatever it is as I don't really see your car running at full capacity without it. I store my 190 for about half of the year because of the weather and I make sure to use fuel stabilizer so the fuel doesn't turn into varnish and I have no problems.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,700 Posts
Yeah the fact that the fuel gauge is stuck is not a good sign. That means the float is baked into place.

I would be curious to take it out and see what you have in there. You need to take it out anyway for the cleaning.
You need to undo the small keyed nut at the bottom so that you can remove the super thin aluminum cover off.
The thin sensor wires need to be cleaned very carefully with a cotton ball and carbourator cleaner or electrical contact cleaner.

But most importantly see how it looks in terms of the varnish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for your input. I finally took it to a locally owned shop that specializes in classic mercs. They said that my EHA valve is leaking and needs to be replaced ($60 labor, $462 parts). They also want to replace my O2 sensor ($120 parts, $198 labor) and in addition to this drain my fuel tank ($120 labor, $44.73 parts) which I had already done in addition to adding seafoam when I did fuel pumps and filter.

I believe the leaking EHA is most likely causing the stall, car has no CEL nor codes so I doubt the 02 sensor is bad. What do you think? I'm super paranoid about being ripped off and these seem like easy DIY jobs.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,453 Posts
Wow I forget how much shops charge for labor these days! Both of those jobs are very easy DIY.

I wouldn't replace EHA unless you actually see/smell fuel leaking. But if you do, then it's super easy replacement that can be done in 5 minutes. Remove air cleaner, undo 2 screws and it pops off. Put new "o" rings in and screw back in.
Bosch EHA is $266 on FCP euro. They're charging you MSRP on that part

02 sensor is $80 on amazon. and takes 10 min to replace (unless it's absolutely seized) Pull passenger side floor mat, then disconnect 02 sensor and shove the wire through the grommet into transmission tunnel. Jack up car, get a 22mm open ended wrench and break the 02 sensor loose. Screw new one back in, re-feed connector wire and plug in.
FYI, a bad 02 sensor won't necessarily trip the CEL. You can test it using a multimeter, the connections are under the passenger floormat. Here's some basic instructions

Regarding the bad fuel, that's something I would pay a shop to do, simply because I wouldn't want to deal w the bad gas fumes and the mess.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,700 Posts
I would be suspicious. EHA valves almost always leak to the outside. So if you do not smell fuel (should reek of gasoline smell) than I would be very suspicious. Also these cars really expensive if you have shops do the easy work.
The EHA valve is about less than $300 (last I checked) online and super easy to replace. But again I have never had a failing EHA valve for internal leaks, external yes, twice. They always leak outside before they leak internally. And you should be able to tell that. I do not know if bad fuel can clog them up. But that is not a leak either.

If you do not have a history on the O2 sensor, it is a good idea to test it. And again, super easy for you to replace that yourself for half the price.

For your stalls, ,you need to figure out if this is an electrical issue or a mechanical one. 9 out of 10 causes are electrical, but then again your car had bad fuel. So who knows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to pass on their other repair recommendations and just let them clean clean out the tank and put in a new fuel tank strainer. Would a gummed up strainer cause random stalling and delivery issues?

I will get the car back sometime next week and will update.

·
W201 Moderator
2,700 Posts
Mechanical Fuel delivery issues from the back (fliter, pump, etc ) will feel like a bogged down, starved engine. And the car will hesitate and choke.

An electrical issue is generally an instantaneous stall.

This has been my experience.

You'll have to decide what yours feels like before chasing down the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got the car back after letting them clean the tank and fix a few other things. It starts up smoothly no hesitation nor rough idle but a slight hiccup here and there.

After about 15min of driving it stalled again. It runs and drives smooth but if I go up a significant incline or the economy meter goes into red it stalls. I can intentionally trigger the stall doing this.

Mechanic also said my oil is fuel contaminated. O2 sensor?

·
W201 Moderator
2,700 Posts
It seems like you have a fuel delivery issue just from the history of the car and your descriptions.
Have you or the mechanics measured the fuel system and lower chamber pressures?

You might have to also check out the fuel spray patterns at the injectors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I havent measured fuel system or lower chamber pressure yet. I'll research how later. Do you happen to know of a guide or thread on this?

Next I will pull and clean the fuel distributor and inspect the EHA many old threads do say the CIS on these cars are prone to clogging. It will be a couple weeks but I want to track down and document the solution for others who may want to revive a 190 that sat decades.

·
W201 Moderator
2,700 Posts
There are threads on this you would have to search for particularly in W124/126 forums.
It is my understanding that the FD rebuild can be tricky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts