Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AC comes on intermittently. Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?<br>
<br>
Also, will the auxiliary fan not coming on cause the car to over heat? I purchased the car for my daughter and she was driving it one day and said that the water light came on, she tried to drive it home, it started to tick loudly and white smoke (i think that it was steam) came from under that hood and the car cut off and would not start for her. The next day, i went to get the car, added half a gallon of anti-freeze and drove the car home. I can't get it to duplicate what happened to her (which seems to always be the way cars act when you take them to a mechanic). Any suggestions and clues?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have the same problem and I have owned the car (86 560sl) for one year. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that when I started the car and I cranked the key hard to the right the key cylinder(what your key goes into) has a little factory mark(very small rectangle molded into the plastic) and it was going past a similar molded mark on the stationary part of the key assembly. I then realized what was happing. The key cylinder is connected to internal mechanical contacts. To get your a/c to turn on everytime, after you have started the engine, simply gently turn your key counter clockwise (literally only a fraction of a degree) until the two marks line up. The contacts will make and the a/c will work. Another option is to replace the key cyclinder, but no reason to do that if my suggestion works.<br> <br> Not sure about the fan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts