Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 325IC and 1986 560SL
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! HELP! HELP!

I need some advices for my car trunk lock.

Today I can not open the car with the key at all. Does anyone have any idea?

Does it have emergency manual release to the trunk lock any where?

·
Registered
73 450SL
719 Posts
Has the car sat for a day or more? If so, start the car let it run for a little bit and then try the trunk again. The airtank may have bleed down and now the trunk lock won't open.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,596 Posts
FWIW the 560 has a separate vacuum pump for the locking system. It does not use engine vacuum like earlier models.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,596 Posts
The valet (round head) key will not turn in the trunk lock. Used in the car doors, it will unlock the doors and the trunk, unless the latter has been manually locked using the regular (square head) key in the trunk lock.
The square head key will unlock the doors and trunk when used in any lock, unless the trunk has been manually locked as described above, in which case it must be used in the trunk lock to unlock the trunk.

Confusing? You bet. I had to go out to the car to try it.

Do your doors unlock on both sides when you use the square key in one side?
If so, the vacuum system is working and the fault likely lies with the trunk vacuum actuator.

Even so, your square key should unlock the trunk manually. If not, the lock itself is buggered somehow. Time for the electric drill or a locksmith.

There is no emergency release device.

·
Registered
'06 E500, '99 ML430 & '07 SL65 AMG
648 Posts
The key is worn. Go to the dealer and order a new set. All you need is the VIN. I had the same problem where the key could start the car but not lock/unlock the trunk. After a got a new key everything worked fine. It makes sense since normally you would use the key in the ignition and door but rearly in the trunk (or less often). The ignition lock and door lock would be worn in the same rate as the key and everything would keep working.

I beleive a new key is about $35 and a full set is about $80.

·
Registered
1995 325IC and 1986 560SL
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The key is worn. Go to the dealer and order a new set. All you need is the VIN. I had the same problem where the key could start the car but not lock/unlock the trunk. After a got a new key everything worked fine. It makes sense since normally you would use the key in the ignition and door but rearly in the trunk (or less often). The ignition lock and door lock would be worn in the same rate as the key and everything would keep working.

I beleive a new key is about $35 and a full set is about $80.
When I bought the car I have one key. And I went to the MB dealers get two more new keys( I have three master keys).

It is interesting after I send out asking for your guys help after attemped to use three keys to open the trunk and I can not do it.

Today I try it again and the trunk is lock and unlock correctly.
I can not explain why now it suddendly working.

Will keep close attention to the trunk.

And thanks to all your help......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts