Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I begin I will have it known that I always keep my 126 below 3000 RPM for various reasons. But today I couldn't refuse racing a suburban.

Ok, you may be wondering what type of car would win in a race from 0-60. A 98' Chevy Suburban 5.7 liter LT 1500 or an 86' 420 SEL. Now I've been telling my dad how fast my car is for the past couple of weeks. He said that his chevy suburban is faster from 0-60 hands down. So I said "let's race". And after persuading him to do it, we went to a long drag strip like road to race earlier today. It was high time we saw what this 126 was made of. Well, we both lined up and hit the gas at the same time and he was ahead of me by a good two to three feet. As soon as my car hit five to six thousand RPM it began to catch up (this was at about 25-35 MPH and the car was beginning to scream) His suburban was growling while mine was screaming like a race car. I was about even with him at this point then the car switched to second and I was flying down the road. Leaving the suburban in the rear view mirror where it belonged. My dad was surprised an 18 year old mercedes beat him in a race. It's surprising how an 18 year old car still has this much power.(the car has about 170 k on the clock)

Now I know a suburban isn't in the same class as Mercedes but I still couldn't resist telling this story. Does anyone have any story of beating another vehicle in a race with a W126?

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
heh, most recently i passed an accord and a mustang that were racing...it was hilarious...they tried to catch up...but i just kept on pulling away. they must have felt pretty foolish. I've also beaten a g35 manual and an s500. i've beaten too many cars to list here...i'm beating fixed up trucks and SUVs left and right. I don't understand why they even think they'd be able to keep up.

·
Banned
1992 W126 300 SE
11,045 Posts
Yesterday,not only did i beat this London Double Decker bus away from the lights,but i also got to the end of the high street before him.He did stop to pick up passengers three times though.And he might not have been trying.Big red bastard[:I]

·
BenzWorld W126 Host
NOW: '90 560SEL WALD & SEC front Conversion. EOL:83/500SEC 5,6l 86/300SE 86/420SE 87/420SEL 87/260SE
827 Posts
This topic always makes me laugh out loud! [:D]

I find it hillarious that my 300hp 5,6 litre 1,6 tonn 22 year old mercedes is faster then anything i meet on the road! In norway road taxes are based on how many litres engine your have, the weight of the car and how many horse power it puts out! That is, most people can only offord to drive a 1,3 litre / 1,6 litre gas drived front wheel drive pos!

If you have a new passat or audi / bmw with a 2.0 litre, you're pretty well off, lets just put it that way!

Of course you have a hand full of porsche's, ferrari, BMW, Audi, Mercedes with the full package, but in 99% of the cases It's a company car and not a privatly owned one! So for those who actually are able to beat the 5,6 V8 I've got stashed under the hood, usually are owned by old fossile farts that don't know what their car is good for, and even if they did, they wouldn't dare

Muahahahaha!

Engle

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
i did see once a 560SEL and a highway cop playing hide and seek.. highway cop offcourse driving a police option 2004 caprice with V8 engine

the 560SEL gave him tough time.. the cop was not even able to catch up well. the 560 had ground rollin passing power and driver had totally sucide driving skills. i think the 560 was 91 or 92 model

eventually the 560 came to stop on a check point but the police had to let him go. he was some prince or royal family member showing off his his hot roddin on a car with public lisence place (royal family members have different lisence plate)

·
Banned
1992 W126 300 SE
11,045 Posts
I just knew the glory couldn't last.Today i got smoked by a snot nosed,spotty faced young punk on a blown skateboard.He lacked style though,his trainers weren't Nike,his rims were no more than 2" diameter and he had his hat on the wrong way around.[8D]

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
My old girl took on and took out a BMW 525, another BMW M3. I took out the garbage on a Newer tricked out Lexus.. Schooled some kids in their hopped up Hondas, ya know the ones... With those useless wings on the back, an carbon fiber hoods, freaky rims, lowered so low you need a step ladder to clime DOWN into them and get high centered on even the smallest speed bump... YUP, blew the doors off them... It was Fun beyond fun[:D][:D]. I have yet to take on Mustangs and vettes, Tho I'm sure they'll fair the same as the others...[8D]

·
190E, SLK350
67,003 Posts
I have seen that stuff when I was in Riyadh. I drove a w140 600sel (1992) back in 1993, I used to go to McDonald to get some fries at midnight and to watch the kids with SEC's (w126) and sometimes some exotic cars scream on public streets. It was a blast!
I really got to appreciate the 560sel then as it was called the "Shabah". I had to get me one once I came back to the states.

·
190E, SLK350
67,003 Posts
No sir, w126 I tell you. When I was there the w140 had just been imported; I had a new v12 so I know whenever the kids said Shabah (the ghost) it surely was not mine.
Now I have a black 560 sel the real thing. I am guessing that over time maybe the name migrated to the w140 just because of volume. There are so many w140s in KSA now but I assure you that the people in the know still respect the mighty 560.
I did get a taste of w126 back then when I went for an extended business trip in the UAE; I had a 560sec at my disposale. Man did I have fun, I must have gone through every hidden speed camera there is in Dubai. I bet ya the rental people were not happy (I never got the bill for the speeding tickets).

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
cyberdrakon - 5/15/2005 2:54 AM

heh, most recently i passed an accord and a mustang that were racing...it was hilarious...they tried to catch up...but i just kept on pulling away. they must have felt pretty foolish. I've also beaten a g35 manual and an s500. i've beaten too many cars to list here...i'm beating fixed up trucks and SUVs left and right. I don't understand why they even think they'd be able to keep up.
Hi :)

What year S500 did you beat with your 420? I have an 02 S500 and a friend of mine as a 560SEL and was following him on the highway and just to be annoying I passed him and when I saw he was looking to get ahead of me, i gave it a bit of gas and he was never able to overtake me until i held back to go behind him again.
Brad

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Chucky300 - 5/16/2005 8:30 AM

cyberdrakon - 5/15/2005 2:54 AM

Hi :)

What year S500 did you beat with your 420? I have an 02 S500 and a friend of mine as a 560SEL and was following him on the highway and just to be annoying I passed him and when I saw he was looking to get ahead of me, i gave it a bit of gas and he was never able to overtake me until i held back to go behind him again.
Brad
Dude.. read his signature at the end of each of his posts. It tells you what car he has. Its not a 420 either.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
I raced a 4cyl Camry with my 123 Diesel and lost. The next day the Diesel was sold, and I won the 300SE. When you loose to a 4cyl Camry, something is really screwed up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts