Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine ask me this and i dont have the answer so i figured some of you would.

She currently has a ML and wants a G. However she is not able to buy a new one so she was looking at the older oner and keeping her ml.

She has found a 86 280 GE. Its in ok shape and for the most parts looks like my 02. the grill, lights, and bumpers are al little different.

So the question is if you bought a old one how much would it cost to make the out side excluding the wheels look like the 02-05 models.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
How close does she want it?

Clear lenses, tail light housings and such are one thing. Could do that type stuff for a few hundred bucks.

But to make it indistinguishable from 50 feet means a whole new front clip (fenders, headlight surrounds, grille), windscreen, outside mirrors, bumpers, numerous trim bits like body mouldings, and then a paint job.

For "the full monte" bought and paid for from a body shop competent to do the work? My guess is maybe $6,000, but it could be a lot more.

And then plan to keep the vehicle for ever because she'll never get that back out of it in the form of a premium price over the general population of '86 460s.

IMHO, she'd be much better off putting that cash toward a nice 300GE ('90 or newer) which DOES look a lot like a 2000 from the outside, and is meant that way from the factory. She's have a lot better chance of recovering her money at sale time, and the mods to bring that one to '02+ looks would be only a few hundred bucks.

-Dave G.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts