Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ignition Problem

I've had this car for about 4 years now. Used to be my dad's but had been wasting away in his basement so signed the title to me. Just a few days ago I drove the car, parked it in my driveway and left it.

Later on that night I try to start it and the key turns all the way to position 2 where vents/fuel pump cut on. It won't go any farther and won't attempt to crank the engine. After some research I attempted to pop out the tumblers and ran into more problems. Now the car is acting like it's stuck in position 1 where radio/windows and such stay on. It also won't cut fuel pump on when turned all the way.

I managed to finally make a tool with a coat hangar and get the tumbler out. Doesn't seem like it has any problems. Tried starting with a screwdriver and the key slot would still just turn all the way and do nothing.

So anybody have any ideas? I'd really hate to have to go to a dealer or even a euro repair place as they always seem to rip you off.

Edit:
I found the problem, was in the ignition housing. Replaced it but now I just can't get the plastic vacuum connectors off the old one to put on the new one. Anybody know how to remove it without breaking it?

·
Registered
1985 190
66 Posts
the 85 i just got had the same trouble. when i got it the switch would turn all the way to the right and do nothing. it would not even have the spring back when the starter should inguage. i pulled it all and the center of the housing was broke. i will be changeing it all.

·
Registered
1989 560 EUROSEL 1984 190e8V 2000 e320 sport
737 Posts
your best bet i agree is to change it all

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found out it's a problem with the housing, need advice with replacing it. Having trouble removing the plastic vacuum connector to put it on the new one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts