Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. I have a question (will post here and W126 forum)<br>
<br>
I have an 85SEL with some sort of MBZ looking wheel but with a 16 inch diameter. I understand that the car originally came with 205/70-R14 size tires. My current front tires are rubbing on the outer body panels when the car goes over speed bumps, etc. The current tire size is P225/60R16 (Goodyears.) Does anybody know whether this tire size was available as stock (via an potion package or something) on this car? The original window sticker (yes, I have it from the previuos owner) just says 'Light forged alloy wheels' without deliniating actual size and I want to replace the tires with a correct size that supposedly won't rub (like 225/55R16?) or get the right size wheels and tires for the car. I need to do this soon, the outer edges of the tire are scraping and one tire may rip soon.<br>
<br>
I have NO idea as to tire tech (ie: the meaning/ importance of offset), so any help, or directions to where I may better ask my question, would be *greatly* appreciated! I scanned the forum and come up with nothing particularly helpful. Thanks so much!<br>
<br>
Daniel<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally,the diameter of a stock tire is 25.2'<br>
The tires you are using now is too tall 25.74'<br>
and thats the reason they are rubbing.Now you have three options.215x55-16=25.31'diam.<br>
225x50-16=24.85' diam.<br>
205x55-16=24.87' This is assuming you are going to<br>
use the same 16'wheels.I recomend the 215x55.<br>
Its up to you to decide.Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts