Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 1985 Mercedes 500 SEC EURO from my buddy and when it first starts t shifts into all gears, but once it warms up I loose R/3rd/4th, I’m a hot rod guy so newer cars especially foreign cars are a language I dont speak. I’m in need of some advice on what to do.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,234 Posts
Start with a transmission service. Fluid filter

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you checked the oil level yet? Have the car started, warmed up, go through the gears with the brake engaged, with the car in drive have a second person check the level.

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,077 Posts
It’s always a good idea to check the fluid level in the trans but to be honest it sounds like op has more than a level problem. Try an additive in the fluid.

·
Registered
1977 450 SEL 6.9
740 Posts
As a side note, if you are used to US style cars shift characteristics, you will likely find that the Benz shifts quite firm, or should at least. This is by design, it should provide a positive, firm shift, especially the 1-2 shift. Under full throttle it should kick down and give an even firmer, tight shift. if this is not the case, it needs to be adjusted. But as others have said, first stop is always pan drop, filter change, fresh DEXIII fluid, then make quadruple sure your level is correct, full hot, in Park, vehicle level with motor running. Do not even think of fiddling with anything before these first steps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts