Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1979 & 1985 300D's
2,537 Posts
What does that mean please? What are arches? Why is it bad that its a CA?
I presume he's talking about the chrome trim on the wheel arches. They are usually installed to hide rust - and even if not, they tend to trap gunk and water and encourage rust.

As for the CA part, someone else can give a better answer, but to get the ball rolling I understand that the CA cars have some annoying differences related to emissions controls that make parts expensive, and can make it hard to get the car registered.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
I presume he's talking about the chrome trim on the wheel arches. They are usually installed to hide rust - and even if not, they tend to trap gunk and water and encourage rust.

As for the CA part, someone else can give a better answer, but to get the ball rolling I understand that the CA cars have some annoying differences related to emissions controls that make parts expensive, and can make it hard to get the car registered.
Thanks for the clarifications. I guess the difficulty in getting these CA cars registered only applies to CA? I'm wondering how I would be able to contact the owner though.

·
Registered
1979 & 1985 300D's
2,537 Posts
That's my understanding, but again hopefully an owner of a CA car will chime in, as I've just happened upon discussions on here about it.

From the look of the site, it's an auction, so to buy it you're going to need to attend.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,868 Posts
I don't have a Cali car but the difference is in the turbo and other air intake functions. Its not necessarily bad its just a different animal.

I am surprised to see one of these cars at a Mecum auction. Usually its a strictly old Detroit muscle affair.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
I don't have a Cali car but the difference is in the turbo and other air intake functions. Its not necessarily bad its just a different animal.

I am surprised to see one of these cars at a Mecum auction. Usually its a strictly old Detroit muscle affair
I am a little surprised also. I would think that this car wouldn't even be worth their time. Wish there was some way to contact the owner of this car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vintage MB D's are not in demand from Mecum buyers wanting vintage USA cars like they remember back when. Nor will small auto traders buy them for inventory. The diesel means maintenance not mainstream. The Monterey auction has several vintage Mercedes because local owners buy upscale car makes and do upscale maintenance. Most are reserve meaning their owners have a value belief not supported by auction results. The 85 has significant maintenance records rarely seen. CA cars that year may have some additional smog device but not significant and not likely the turbo. I do see the air cleaner relocated to a better location. During the auction the reserve may be waived by the owner or it goes Bid Goes On for negotiations with the owner.
Does this MB have sufficent "arches" to satisfy?
1960 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Convertible Recently Tuned with All Receipts for sale by Mecum Auction
Someone may have details on the CA

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's my understanding, but again hopefully an owner of a CA car will chime in, as I've just happened upon discussions on here about it.

From the look of the site, it's an auction, so to buy it you're going to need to attend.
Phone bidding is normal but like all bidders does have a preauction deposit requirement.

And no I don't own the 85. Mine is an 83 CDT and just finished a 70k additional mile overhaul/upgrade components.

·
Registered
1985 300CD 160k, 1984 300CD 190K, 1984 300D 140K, 1984 300TD 208K, 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD
169 Posts
Sold for $13k. Had a reserve of $12k

DESCRIPTION

- Original California car with zero rust
- Less than 83,000 miles
- Cascade Blue with Palomino interior both in excellent condition
- Chrome bumpers, grille and emblems are straight, rust free and shine like new
- Seats and headrest are in near original condition
- No cracks in the front dashboard
- Wood trim is whole and straight
- Rear deck is unblemished
- Headlining has no rips, discoloration or blemish