Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '85 500 SL. This is my first<br>MB. Being an ex-engineer, I have a lot of questions.<br>There are a lot of buttons, wheels, etc. that I've not<br>got a clue about regarding operation. For instance,<br>there's a stalk that appears to be the cruise control<br>but all the words are in German so I haven't been able<br>to figure out how it operates. I've not found a source<br>of owners manuals for the Euro versions. Will a 1985<br>380 SL owners manual help me or are the Euro vehicles<br>a lot different?<p>I've also got a lot of questions about maintanence as<br>well as operation. Which Web sources are particularly<br>useful?<p>Thanks!<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Congratulations and welcome to the club!! <br>The Euro and U.S. manuals are pretty much the same and are very useful.<br>There a good tranlation tool that's free to use on the net.<br>Click <a href="http://www.FreeTranslation.com/">Free Translation</A><br>Also, you might want to look at the the links page and go to<br>the MB Enthusiasts Page. Go to <a href="http://www.mbnz.org/links/links.htm">Links Page</a><p>Good luck and welcome to the board.<p>Frank<br>: I just bought an '85 500 SL. This is my first<br>MB. Being an ex-engineer, I have a lot of questions.<br>There are a lot of buttons, wheels, etc. that I've not<br>got a clue about regarding operation. For instance,<br>there's a stalk that appears to be the cruise control<br>but all the words are in German so I haven't been able<br>to figure out how it operates. I've not found a source<br>of owners manuals for the Euro versions. Will a 1985<br>380 SL owners manual help me or are the Euro vehicles<br>a lot different?<p>I've also got a lot of questions about maintanence as<br>well as operation. Which Web sources are particularly<br>useful?<p>Thanks!<br><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
: I have an original German owners manual for an '84 500 SL, as well as the English version for the 380SL for both '84 and '85. Contact by email if I can make copies for you. The cruise is fairly simple: lift or depress to engage. Push or pull to disengage.

·
Registered
1985 500SL + 2009 GLK (previous 250, 280SL, 230TE, 430 ML)
1,032 Posts
Congrats,
I bought mine 29 years ago and enjoy it every time I drive it. I have tons of documentation, let me know what you need by PM.

The cruise control stalk works as follows:
- Up: Increase speed to desired speed
- Down: Reduce speed to desired speed
- Push forward: Disable cruisecontrol (use of brake has same effect)
- Pull: Resume last speedsetting

Probably the most important job is to replace the engine timing chain and nylon sliders, unless done within the last 10 years. Brittle slider bits falling off may derail the chain causing the valves crashing into the pistons - very expensive to fix.

I recently did this job myself, anyone handy can certainly do it. In my case the old were not too bad, but others have been unlucky.

The 500 has fantastic overtaking capabilities, was better than the Ferrari 308 in 1985, the delivery time was 6 months and people offered 20% above list to get hold of them. Only 12,000 were produced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts