Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

85 380SL No Spark, Coil Good

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  aaconstructiontn 
#1 ·
85 380 SL No Spark

I stopped at a light it dies but starts right back up. A couple of days later same thing. It died when stopped at a light but then starts and runs fine. Both times this ocurred after running for only 2 minutes or so. Next time it died in a parking lot but will no longer start. Hey, at least now I have a stable problem to work with. It turns over fine but there is no spark and there is no apparent fuel delivery. Coil checks good. Fuel filter is fine. I've read about a fuel pump relay issue but I'm confused why that would eliminate the spark. Also, is there a GOOD manual that anyone can recommend with schematics etc.? I ordered a CD a while back that is almost useless. Any guidence on a logical trouble shooting procedure for this issue would be much appreciated.

MBstruck dead in the garage

#2 ·
MBstruck said:
85 380 SL No Spark

I stopped at a light it dies but starts right back up. A couple of days later same thing. It died when stopped at a light but then starts and runs fine. Both times this ocurred after running for only 2 minutes or so. Next time it died in a parking lot but will no longer start. Hey, at least now I have a stable problem to work with. It turns over fine but there is no spark and there is no apparent fuel delivery. Coil checks good. Fuel filter is fine. I've read about a fuel pump relay issue but I'm confused why that would eliminate the spark. Also, is there a GOOD manual that anyone can recommend with schematics etc.? I ordered a CD a while back that is almost useless. Any guidence on a logical trouble shooting procedure for this issue would be much appreciated.

MBstruck dead in the garage
Hiya MB...,

Sorry I don't have a manual...and I'm not aware of any organized (or disorganized for that matter) listing of coil troubleshooting tips...sounds like you'd be rich if you created one...or me. Here's what I found on my '82 with the identical problem:

The igntion control (unit the silver colored box on the interior fender has a brown .75 ground wire. If it is loose, the ground will not stay in place and the car will die immediately. While you're there it wouldn't hsrt to freshen up that ground connection anyway. Dave

PS. OK, that was tip #1 in my new book...working on #2...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.