Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1985 380sl ac clutch makes noise (barrings) and wish to disable ac comprossor for winter till i have ac looked at. I live about 150 miles from any type or mb grage so was thinking of just taking ac belt off while I drive to larger town for repair work. My question is will taking ac belt harm or effect any part of this system, while i still have heat in the car? Rick

Thanks so much for any help.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
Welcome aboard. Fill in your profile when you get a chance.

Are you sure it is the AC bearing? It may be the idler pulley bearing. A very common failure. If it is the AC you can cut or remove the belt. You will still have heat. You just won't have AC.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ac disabling.

Thanks for your help, thu i don't know what or where the ilder pulley is. All i can see is that when the cltuch engages on the front of ac compressor it makes this noise, then when clutch disenbages the noise stops. I can see the clutch goaround or not go around. I Will fill in my profile.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts

What rowdie called the idler pulley is actually the AC belt tensioner pulley, located between the crank pulley and the AC compressor.

You are right, the if the tensioner bearing were bad the noise would be constant.

Either way, just remove the belt 'til you're ready to repair it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
disable ac

thanks "isthisdave", actually the noise is getting less noisey(?). Seems to engange (making noise) after a coldstart (maybe after couple minutes after starting) then ac shuts off? Im thinking im also low on ac oil or feron which seems to shut down ac, althu i still get cold air when i turn temp down. So for now ill problly just as u sugested remove belt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts