Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I took the advice of the responders to my previous post about getting an alignment done on my '95 300 TD, 148k- and took it to the local MB dealership. After inspecting and making adjustments, they came back to me and said that I need to replace the steering center link. They quoted me about $350 to do this- saying they had to order the part and that they'd need to do another full alignment. They said that they adjusted the settings "as best they could" today and charged me $110.00. It looks like the part is available for around $50.00 and I am wondering if indeed they adjusted "everything else," if it is possible for me to replace this center link myself without messing up their adjustments. I am thinking that I can change out the part without lifting the wheels. If I can do that, and carefully adjust the length on the new part (to replicate the old length), should I be somewhat close on the alignment?

Note that "yes," I am frugal with this car- it only gets driven about 4000 miles a year- primarily an airport car, and I am not concerned with it being spot-on perfect. Is my thinking somewhat in line here?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts