1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 mercedes 300sd
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions – 85 300sd 185k miles

1)
Trans was shifting a little hard when cold. Added lucas trans stuff and it shifts nice and smooth – question is when I go to park and shift to R or P with the windows open I here the movement of the trans, sounds like chichink, chichink. But It might have been doing that all along – it is really hot now so I have the windows open. Is this bad? Or am I being a worry wart?

2)
Had some front end work done – new caster kit, tie rod ends and lower ball joints. Plus an alignment. Then I got new tires too. But the alignment was not right so I brought it back. 2nd time same thing – still no good. Is this guy just a crook or a hack or what? What can I look for? When driving on an angled road it pulls harder. Thanks! Cary

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 4 speed manual, 1994 C280
229 Posts
1) When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid and filter? If you don't know drain it and change it. Drain the torque converter as well. Be careful with the fluid level, use the search function above.

2) You may have more parts to replace. putting a band aid on a bleeding artery ain't gonna fix it.

·
Registered
1985 mercedes 300sd
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the MB mechanic said that was all the front end needed. Is it safe to change the fluid on an older trans? I have heard bad things about doing that. As far as being "rough" it is not - the engine runs very nice and smooth - and strong, on the highway it has excellent power, good fuel mileage and is a pleasure to drive. as far as a new one - I am disabled, could never afford a $75k car.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Are you referring to the "rough" in my sig? someone actually said that to me. These old diesel do drive and run great. Although I would like to add a V-8 126 some day.:D If your front end is in perfect shape as you say then take it to the dealer or another indy that knows these old cars and have them check out the front end and do an alignment. good luck.

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
carybrief said:
t as far as a new one - I am disabled, could never afford a $75k car.
An '85 SD retailed for about $ 40k. The only 126 chassis car that sold in the US for $ 75k new was a 560SEC. ( 91 560SEL maybe came close).

·
Registered
1985 mercedes 300sd
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whre in NC are you - I am moving to the Tri area next month

·
Registered
229 Posts
updated profile.

·
Registered
1985 mercedes 300sd
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is where I am moving

I am coming in this Friday to find a house. I gotta find a good mechanic too. I think the trans is good but there is some slack in the drive train when i start off, the shifting is smooth anyway ill be in town from the 18th to the 26th trying to rent a house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts