Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '85 300DT has a cold start problem in the morning even. The morning temperature is above 40F. It starts fine, runs well for a few seconds but then it starts stuttering and eventually dies. It then restarts fine but does the same thing unless I hold the accelerator. It runs perfectly after it has had a chance to warm up. It starts perfectly the rest of the day. I just seem to have this problem after the car has sat overnight. Is there a fuel injector pump problem here?

·
Registered
220D
12 Posts
Have you checked the fuel filters lately? I think that's the next step on the 220D for m...

Have you checked the fuel filters lately? I think that's the next step on the 220D for me [;)]

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Have you checked the fuel filters lately? I think that's the next step on the 220D for m

Have you checked the fuel filters lately? I think that's the next step on the 220D for me [;)]
Yes, that was the first thing that I checked.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I haven't checked the glow plugs yet. That's my next step.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Could be a bad glow plug...

Could be a bad glow plug
Should be easy to check. They shouldn't be too expensive either. I used to have an '82 Datsun King Cab with a diesel engine (my dad has it now)and I would simply unscrew the glow plugs, put them in a vice and hook them up to a battery charger briefly. If they "glowed" they were good. I would think I could do the same on the 300DT.
One nice thing on the Datsun was, it had a manual throttle knob with which I could adjust the idle speed until it was warmed up.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes 300D
1,249 Posts
I'm not so sure about your '85 Turbodiesel, but my '81 300D has an idle adjustment knob be...

I'm not so sure about your '85 Turbodiesel, but my '81 300D has an idle adjustment knob below the instrument cluster, on the left side. Gotta reach through or over the steering wheel to access it. Counterclockwise gets you a faster idle speed, clockwise slows it down to where it should be when the car is warmed up.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
No - the turbodiesels do not have idle adjustment knobs. They did away with those after '8...

No - the turbodiesels do not have idle adjustment knobs. They did away with those after '82 when they introduced the Turbodiesels

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think doing away with the trottle knob was not a very bright idea. I've been reading t...

I think doing away with the trottle knob was not a very bright idea. I've been reading the posts on the newer cars and it seems Mercedes is doing more and more things that owners are not very happy with. I still don't see how M-B justifies the prices they are asking for their new cars. It's hard to believe that my 1985 300DT had a price of $32,000 on the original sticker. I certainly would not have paid that much money for it. I'm glad that I bought it used and paid only a fraction of that original price. Can you believe $32K and the interior isn't leather nor is there a tilt wheel? That was a lot of money then and now.

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
Yeah, it's expensive...

then think about how long it has lasted and how well it still runs. THink about how an 85 honda runs and you'll understand =)

Yes, prices were steep back then- my parents bought our 300TD new in 83 for a grip. Cheapest car they ever bought though, if you consider it'll last a lifetime. Today's Benz's are a different story- I doubt they will ever be as robust as the diesel 123's.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True it appears to be a well built car. I have all the service records from new and this...

True it appears to be a well built car. I have all the service records from new and this car has needed quite a bit of help to last as long as it had.
The reason I bought the Benz was that I would NEVER buy a Japanese car. I needed something that would give me good fuel economy for the duration. It gets me around 30 MPG and that suits me fine. My other three cars are GM products I bought new with V8's and all have over 100K on their odometers. At best I get 17-19 MPG with them. Knock on wood, they have been all extremely dependable needing no more than just regular maintenance.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
[quote]I have all the service records from new and this car has needed quite a bit of help...

I have all the service records from new and this car has needed quite a bit of help to last as long as it had.
That may be true for that particular car, but 90% of these diesel have problems only because of negelect, missuse and bad treatment. People don't realize that you need to change the oil at 3,000 miles and do the fuel filters every other oil change. If treated properly, these cars will go well into the 300,000 mile range without anything but those simple mantinence items.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no doubt that my Benz will make it to over 300,000 miles. The oil changes have be...

I have no doubt that my Benz will make it to over 300,000 miles. The oil changes have been performed at 3000 mile intervals since new and I am a firm believer in 3000 mile oil changes and preventative maintanence myself. Every car that I have ever owned was subject to my strict adherence to the prescribed maintenance schedules except that I would change the oil and filters at 3000 mile intervals and not the 5000 and sometimes 7500 mile intervals suggested by some manufacturers. I don't wait to change air filters at the mileages recommended, I check them at every oil change. I can go on and on....[:p]

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well then I guess my GM's may end up lasting as long as the Mercedes if I don't get tire...

Well then I guess my GM's may end up lasting as long as the Mercedes if I don't get tired of them.[;)]

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Possibly - but american cars can't even be put in the same universe as a German car - espe...

Possibly - but american cars can't even be put in the same universe as a German car - especially an MB!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.