Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's it worth?

208K.It needs paint and a small amount of rust work. Mechanically perfect, except it needs a wiper pivot but runs and drives great. Also, where can I find a wiper pivot? Thanks for the help! [:)]

·
Registered
3 Posts
85 300D market price

Ive sold a couple of diesel Benzes recently and I would say between $3500 to $2500 in Southern Califonia. It really depends on the region your selling or buying a vehicle and the demand. Go to Car-Parts.com for a used wiper pivot or a ask Rusty at buymbparts.com for a new one.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Check it out before you pay ANYTHING!

A new automatic trnsmission is $1,900. Used $500 plus labor. A/C conversion, $200. Climate control $500. These items are prone to failure at this age and mileage. Window motors, $80 each. Sunroof should open and close easily. Compression check on Diesels is highly advisable. Records? If any, check with the repair garage for a history. Have you owned a Diesel before? They are different.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
If you have a pick and pull you can get transmissions under $100, window motors $27. Clima...

If you have a pick and pull you can get transmissions under $100, window motors $27. Climate control can be converted to manual. It helps to live in Dallas, which was had the highest volume Mercedes dealer on the planet during the heydey of diesel sales. Am known as a "good customer" at some of the local salvage yards. You can get up the creek $$$ fast if your not ready to work on it. You will pay Ed's prices if someone else does the work. Letting someone else do the work can pencil out well for some Dr's, lawyers,and higher end business people. Some more affluent enthusiasts do actually put together industrial level garages and have a really good time.

A trick I use is have a fleet, so if a problem turns up, I just switch cars and do the repair/upgrade/restoration at a convenient time rather
then, Oh no, it is time for work and car problems!
John Gregg

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Pick and Pull

I had a 1964 220 SE Coupe to restore back in 1980. The transmission was shot and I bought one out of a sedan for $250. I kept the old one and later gave it away. We don't have many of the old Diesels in the junk yards. They are still on the road! There is one place here and another in Memphis. The 18 year old parts are getting harder to come by. You are lucky to be in Texas where you have a wealth of parts yards! [:D]

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
We spoiled in Dallas. The prices of old diesels are low enough they fall into the wrong ha...

We spoiled in Dallas. The prices of old diesels are low enough they fall into the wrong hands, or sometimes are wrecked and wind up in the salvage yard.
At least for now. 201's and 123's are easy to find.
Anything else though can take luck persistance and connections keeping an eye out.
Regards,
John Gregg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help! Were going to go look at it Sunday....

Thanks for all the help! Were going to go look at it Sunday.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
dfwdiesel, i think it's funny how you say that you can't afford to pay mechanic's prices...

dfwdiesel, i think it's funny how you say that you can't afford to pay mechanic's prices for repairs, which only the affluent can do -- and then go on to say that a trick you use instead is to have a whole FLEET of cars!!! [:D]

i know what you mean, though -- especially with older mercedes, it seems like once you start ownership, it's hard to stop at just one car. a little over a year ago, i had no car, and had never owned a benz. now -- well, just look under my name in the signature...

anyway, i'm still waiting for a good time to buy myself a nice '83-'84 (or maybe '85) w123. at first i had the money and the space, but the market was thin. now there are a couple promising prospects out there, but i'd have no place to put another car, nor the extra couple thousand in the bank. sigh [:(]

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
dfwdiesel, i think it's funny how you say that you can't afford to pay mechanic's prices f...

dfwdiesel, i think it's funny how you say that you can't afford to pay mechanic's prices for repairs, which only the affluent can do -- and then go on to say that a trick you use instead is to have a whole FLEET of cars!!!

i know what you mean, though -- especially with older mercedes, it seems like once you start ownership, it's hard to stop at just one car. a little over a year ago, i had no car, and had never owned a benz. now -- well, just look under my name in the signature...

anyway, i'm still waiting for a good time to buy myself a nice '83-'84 (or maybe '85) w123. at first i had the money and the space, but the market was thin. now there are a couple promising prospects out there, but i'd have no place to put another car, nor the extra couple thousand in the bank. sigh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Janos
1989 560SEL
1993 400E
1994 E320 wagon

Not many 400E's out there, they do really haul. I would not mind buying one. [8D]

Am out of space now or close to it. Half seriously looking for some rural/unincorporated land. Planning to sell some. Daughter wants me to buy her a Porsche 911 turbo. MBZ.ORG also has a diesel forum if your interested in 83 to 85 300D turbos. The turbo is really makes a difference.

Regards,
John Gregg
1983 300D Euro
1984 300D turbo
1990 300D 2.5 turbo
2 1985 190D's
1978 280CE
1972 250C
1977 240D
1978 300D
1978 300D TD wagon
1972 280SE/300D conversion

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
oh my god! THAT'S why it's so hard to find a decent w123 on the market -- YOU BOUGHT THE...

oh my god! THAT'S why it's so hard to find a decent w123 on the market -- YOU BOUGHT THEM ALL!!![:0]

i see your daughter has a different taste in cars, though; too bad there's no porsche turbo diesel, eh?

oh, and the 400E is not for sale. it's the perfect counterpoint to my 560SEL. had there been an overlap in their production dates, they should have been sold bundled together.

similarly, i have a feeling a nice clean w123 sedan would be a good counterpoint to the e320 wagon. strichacht and some others gave me some good buying advice a while ago; i'm keeping it all in mind for later (i'll hopefully be able to free up space and cash for a w123 by next fall, the latest).

·
Registered
84 300D Euro
44 Posts
Euro vs Turbo

Man as we have discussed you have a Euro 83, what's the difference between that car and the turbo? My 84 Euro is the first MB I've owned and it is no slug as I've heard from 240 and non turbo 81 back I realize my HP is sub 100 but other than massive hills I have no worries. How's the relationship? I mean is a turbo that much better>? Just curious as I wouldn't mind a second...
Thanks

ric

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
oh my god! THAT'S why it's so hard to find a decent w123 on the market -- YOU BOUGHT THEM ...

oh my god! THAT'S why it's so hard to find a decent w123 on the market -- YOU BOUGHT THEM ALL!!!

i see your daughter has a different taste in cars, though; too bad there's no porsche turbo diesel, eh?
She is a director in local Mercedes club. She likes only Mercedes and Porsche.

I found her putting her German "Penelope" vanity plate on the 1990 300D 2.5 Turbo. She is hoping Dad will get a Porsche too! Am half seriously looking for a Porsche sleeper or mechanics special Told her if she helps me find good homes for some of the Mercedes
the odds of her getting one would go up. We ran into a man who paid 3K for an 83 911 Targa, with bad engine that turned out to need a major tuneup. That really go her hopes up
Regards,
John Gregg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.