Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 300CDT / 95 Accord / 07 Acura RDX
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of re-finishing my wheels. I tackled the front two without a hitch. I'm scratching my head, though, as to how to properly use a floor jack to raise the rear of the car so that I might remove those.

I could approach the front FROM the front. But the rear... looks like I may have to approach from the side?

Help? :surrender:

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Either you use the Factory Jack in the normanl Jacking Holes or there is a stamped formed but circular Plate where the Subfame Bushing goes that is under the Car but not to far from the rear Jacking Point.

The problem is that if you use the Subeframe Bushing Circular Plate to jack up the Car is you have no place to put a Jack Stand.
To that end I Block the wheels and carefully raise the Car with the Factory Jack and shove the Jack Stand under the Subframe Busning Circular Plate.
If you go over to the other side to raise the Car you need to be careful the Car does not slide or move on the Jack Stand on that you put on the opposite side.

I got another Factory Jack at the Junk Yard and what I try to do to raise the rear is to put a Jack on each side and jack the Rear up evenly. That sounds good but the Factory Jacks are real unstable when the Car movers forward or to the Rear during Jacking and the Car will shift backwards of forwards even with Blocks on the Wheels.

Depending on what you plan to do on the Rear Ramps are better for certain jobs.

This site has Pictures of one of the Owners Manuals; some where in there it should have the Jacking Points.
SECCION MERCEDES - PIEL DE TORO - LA WEB DE LOS COCHES CLASICOS

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I read somewhere that you can lift in the middle of the rear axle if you use a piece of wood. I'm guessing that's not a good idea?

ETA: Put a piece of wood on the jack and lift using the rear diff. Using this method, I've read about putting jack stands at the bushings slightly behind the jack points and lowering down onto the stands immediately. I may opt for this option considering the limited space in which I have to work. Unless someone has a reasonable objection to this method?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
I think it is a bad idea to lift the Rear of the Car from the Differential or the Differential Mount. The reason being it is made only to deal with torque and not to hold the weight of the Car.

That square tubing you see that the Differential Mount Bolts onto is the only thing that supports it. Above it is the Bottom of the Trunk under the Fuel Tank.

Also most of the the Rear Trailing Arms are made of thin Sheet Metal.

It is always your Choice what to do.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Lift the car using the jack points, then place the jack stands underneath the subframe mounts.

Alternatively, I've also used the differential with no problems either. In here, when we swapped the differential, the jacks were placed on the front frame rails as well as the rear subframe mounts.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,868 Posts
I always use the diff in the rear and the front crossmember for jack points. No issues.

·
Registered
1977 300D, 1980 450SL, Genuine Buddy 125cc Scooter
252 Posts
I've used the mb jack and it doesn't seem saafe. Wobbley is the word. That's my body under there, and the diff is is something I'll sacrifice for my life. Plus I've been doing that carefully for some time.. its oly for a second until I get the stands set.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I read differing opinions, but... considering it was done gently and temporarily, I opted to lift using the diff. I used my last good piece of sawn basswood as the buffer. Guess I'll need to order some more to carve, but I digress.

It worked.

Currently working on the last two wheels. And replacing the exhaust hangers while it's up on the stands.

Sadly, Ol' Blue will be leaving me upon the completion of these last two projects. She's getting traded for an immaculate 1970 Impala... local, one owner, docs included, 77k original miles. Ahh... I'mma miss the diesel, but will enjoy that honkin' 350.

·
Registered
1977 300D, 1980 450SL, Genuine Buddy 125cc Scooter
252 Posts
Can't beat a smallblock chevy. Super simple, abundunt cheap parts, easy to sup up, and that sound coming out of dual straight pipes, music to my ears!! Make great coffee tables too!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As an accountant, the cost of repairs and maintenance had a lot to do with my opting for the trade. That, and the awesome shape this thing's in...

Original miles... 200k less than Ol' Blue.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
REMEMBER, when lowering any vehicle after moving large rigid items around the car (jack stands, tool box, etc.) to be sure no vehicle parts, like doors and fenders, will make contact on the way down. Its never happened to me but I'm sure some one has crushed a fender that was lowered on to a halfway removed jack stand that was out of view. I'm sure it will happen again, but hopefully not to any of us.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When the numbers don't line up perfectly with the window, that means it's rolled at least once.
I'll have to confirm that with the seller. I did Google it, as I've never heard this, and it would seem you're right in some cases. So thanks for the heads up on that. If it's rolled at least once, you would think the pedals would be a lot more worn than these are. The interior would tend to be a little more worn, too. Even if it has, though, it's still 100k less than Ol Blue.

·
Registered
1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
1,418 Posts
REMEMBER, when lowering any vehicle after moving large rigid items around the car (jack stands, tool box, etc.) to be sure no vehicle parts, like doors and fenders, will make contact on the way down. Its never happened to me but I'm sure some one has crushed a fender that was lowered on to a halfway removed jack stand that was out of view. I'm sure it will happen again, but hopefully not to any of us.
Or a jack stand left centered under the floor pan behind the drivers seat....not that it's ever happened to me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When the numbers don't line up perfectly with the window, that means it's rolled at least once.
Got the pack of the OO's paperwork today. Replete with the sticker from the window. It received regular service until about 1994, when the OO died. The mileage is legit @ 77k miles, but I've no explanation about the misalignment. After the OO died, it was kept in a garage and cranked occasionally to keep things from drying out and whatnot. It's since had a new water pump, exhaust system, distributor, alternator, and belts/hoses installed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts