Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 190e 2.3
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1985 190e is having a strange issue with a selective batch of electronics linked to the ignition.

I am still able to adjust my electric seats and the right side electric mirror, but unable to use the following:

* no windows up or down, (fuses 7 & 8)
* no wipers (fuse 19)
* sunroof won't work (fuse 20)
* no radio (fuse 20)
* no optical horn (fuze 20)

The A/C and fans work, as do the headlights and the blinkers. High beams work, but only when the lights are on. High beam flash (aka "optical horn") does not work.

This used to be an intermittent problem which was rectified by turning on the high-speed wipers and pushing the key upwards in the ignition as the car was running.

And for several months there was no issue at all... everything worked fine.

Due to aging, I felt it was necessary to change some of my sketchier looking fuses in the hopes that might solve my problem. Unfortunately, that did not help and probably made matters worse as since then my "wiper-key push" trick has worked only once or twice. Now, I don't even bother trying anymore, nothing inside works and if it rains I have no wipers. Thank goodness for Rain-X.

Car runs great otherwise!

Anyone had a similar issue with their 190e, or got any ideas as to what might be the root cause (other than age)?

·
Registered
190D
344 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground connection.
Look at the wiring diagrams and try to locate the ground location for all components that don't work.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
check the grounds behind the dash and check ur ignition switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts