Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just joined this forum (first post- won't be the last). I have a '95 E300D (I know wrong forum), but this isn't about me. It's one of my dad's cars that's having the problem. He bought an '84 300 SD within the last year and I think it has maybe 200,000 miles on it- just broken in. The problem is that his ignition key will no longer start the car. We can get it inserted OK, then turn the switch approximately 20 degrees, but no further. He would like to replace the switch with another (and have it re-keyed and all that jazz), but all of the instructions that we can get hold off say that the switch must be turned to position 1 in order to remove the switch. What can we do if we can't get to position 1?

Thanks in advance, and I hope I can contribute to a solution next time instead of just posting questions/problems.

M a r t y

----------------------------------
1995 300D special edition
35+ MPG!
200,000 miles and counting
----------------------------------

·
Registered
86 420 sel,
162 Posts
WELL, IF YOU CAN NOT TURN THE KEY TO POS 1, YOU WILL HAVE TO DRILL OUT THE LOCK[xx(], AND THAT SUCKS, DREMEL IS THE BEST TOOL IF IT COMES TO THAT. GOOD LUCK.

JAKO

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
try wiggling the wheel around abit until the key turns, i have that problem on my 300sd sometimes. Maybe its the same in this case.

-Kris

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
ah correction mine is not the same problem, i dont think. Mine is when i turn the car off, i lock the steering wheel in place then, when i go to start it back up i have to move the wheel a little then turn the key. Atleast i dont think its the same problem. Its been working fine. I havent had any problems

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posts. I wanted to solicit some online help before I officially resigned myself to the Dremel. We have tried and tried and tried jiggling/wiggling/finageling the sterring wheel and lock cylinder for almost two weeks now (it's in the back of my dad's driveway) and I'm headed down there now with the Dremel and a diamond bit (left over from some tile work).

Thanks again. I'll have to post some pictures of my E300D in the appropriate spot soon...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts