Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys!

In my continueing cluster for the week I need to get the front end of the AMG car aligned. I found the other day that it was eating the inside corners of the front tires. I also found while I had the wheels off that the front shocks are Bilstein comforts instead of HD's. I wished the PO had a bit more mechanical skills and would have caught this kind of stuff. I made an appointment next week for when I return to have the car aligned at a Mercedes service center in Rocklin CA. Here's some questions for you guys. The car is now sitting at 24 years old but the front end componants have been changed out in the last few years. I noticed that the rear sits a little lower than the front and the rear camber is quite apparent. First, should I go ahead and pull the front and rear springs out and replace the nibs front and back to re-level the car? Also, I was thinking that when I replaced the big round rear subframe mounts on the SD it raised the rear some in the process. Should I go ahead and replace the rear subframe mounts also before I take it in for an alignment along with the shocks and steering stabilizer? I don't want to align the danged thing just to turn around and have to do it again after doing some work that probably needs to be done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
replace it all before doing the alignment. it's gonna change everytime. unless you just do the front end alignment youself to fix the tire chewing problem. then once all the components are replaced, take it to a shop and do a laser alignment :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
the fronts always sat higher than the rear. even lowered though, the fronts can be adjusted properly. The back is a different story. as far as the rear, I'm currently looking for a camber kit myself. When I find one, I'll let ya know what I came up with. My guess is it's gonna look something like this. just looking for the proper application for a W126.

·
Registered
149 Posts
why don't you try to replace the spring spacers both front and back first before the springs.

We had the same problem and replacing the spring spacers with new ones makes a huge difference.

The old ruber spring spacers would probably be squash already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts