Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've actually been home now for a few days at a time and have been getting to know the car. What a blast! I don't even want to know how much gas this car sucks down. Like a drug addict, I find myself driving along and rationalizing that one more push on the throttle, just one, and then I'll take it easy for the rest of the drive.....yeh, right. It's really a pleasure having a big car with tons of room that handles as if it were half it's size and weight. The AMG suspension and wheels keep you in the loop and I've gotten pretty good at pushing the car and feeling the clues of where the limits are. I've found that when in a turn and my wife starts cussing like a sailor with the kids in the back seat is the point to stop pushing.

I found a FEDEX box in my office yesterday as I was leaving the house to meet a client and it had the 6000rpm fuel pump relay that I got on ebay. I'll counsel my wife for not bringing it to my attention earlier. Great, another excuse to drive the AMG! I swapped out the 5300rpm unit but had morning traffic and then afternoon traffic for the full 45 mile round trip. It has been such a frustration to have the car start cutting out under power and having to let off prior to hitting the rev limit to let it upshift It wasn't until I got almost home that I had a chance to open it up on the country road bordering the neighborhood and take the back entrance. I wish I could remember the shift point speed into third but I saw the 2-3 shift come in at 58-5900rpm. Those extra 600 rpm were pure love!

If things go right today I can address the one BIG issue remaining. I have yet to see first gear in the car!!! I've done the B-switch thing, I've pushed the throttle so hard that the kickdown switch should have turned into a diamond, nothing! I want to feel this car at it's full potential. This is far worse than going to a strip club and getting the full blown lap dance just to sit there and drink beer. I'll get the car up on stands, the multimeter out, and start looking over wiring and the kickdown switch. Finally a question. Is the kickdown switch, FGSM, and B selector on the same fused circuit? I'm going to pull the under dash panel to find the FGSM and supply the #2 lead with 12V as per Talbir's recommendation. I hope to be able to get this up and going. With the tall gears in the car this second gear start thing is a real drag. I had a 420sel full of high school punks pull away from me the other day and I was actualy trying to keep up with them. I don't start seeing the power until 40mph/3000rpm and then the car just starts to fly. I like flying :)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The kickdown wire is linked to the fuel pump relay....so if your FPR is bad, that might explain why you are not getting 1st gear.

Once you supply that +12V to the FGS module, you will see 1st gear even if there is an issue elsewhere....reason being, the FGS module will then supply live to the kickdown wire running to the solenoid...so long as the kickdown solenoid is not faulty, you will get 1st gear.

talbir

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Talbir!

With both relays I've had no first gear. The issue with the first one was it had a 5300rpm limit. I just got back from a drive and saw a 2-3 shift in the 70 something range at 5800rpm. I'll check out the switch/wiring as I need to get that double downshift from third at 25mph. Do the FGSM and the kickdown switch go to the same terminal of the transmission?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
yes, same point.

your kickdown switch or solenoid must be faulty....the solenoid may just be clogged with dirt...opening it and cleaning usually solves the issue. The KD switch is easily tested, especially on the early w126 where it has fewer wires going into it.

talbir

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got into the system. Kickdown switch ohmed good and twelve volts to the switch with the car running. Pulled the kickdown solenoid and the coil ohmed out at infinity. So now that I found the problem I went ahead and cleaned it up and went to reinstall the damned thing and found that it wouldn't thread back in after a few turns. Pulled it out and found a bit of aluminum and a small chip in the first thread of the solenoid. I don't think it is too bad and I can get a new one in without too much worry. Just pisses me off when tiny things like that go unnoticed.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
45,396 Posts
AzimuthAviation said:
Thanks Talbir!

With both relays I've had no first gear. The issue with the first one was it had a 5300rpm limit. I just got back from a drive and saw a 2-3 shift in the 70 something range at 5800rpm. I'll check out the switch/wiring as I need to get that double downshift from third at 25mph. Do the FGSM and the kickdown switch go to the same terminal of the transmission?
Would you mind posting the number of the new relay?
Inquiring minds would like to know. Cheers

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Dude,

Why'd you pay $30 for that, you should have said something! I'll be up in the Bay area from Wednesday through Tuesday, will probably be at UC Davis for an interview one of these days. Let me know if you are still interested in the Euro taillights or if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Kalif

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kalifornia said:
Dude,

Why'd you pay $30 for that, you should have said something! I'll be up in the Bay area from Wednesday through Tuesday, will probably be at UC Davis for an interview one of these days. Let me know if you are still interested in the Euro taillights or if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Kalif
You would not believe how crazy my schedule between the airline and my business is. Throw in the family commmitments and you'd think that a Stanley Kubrick movie would make more sense. I'll start hitting you up for parts as I know your garage goes pretty deep. I had a hard time finding a 6000rpm relay and the thought of going new on that exceeded a pilot's sense of economics. Did you know that copper wire was invented when two pilots got into a fight over a copper penny found in a jetway? On-line parts houses and ebay are my friends when I'm on a trip.

Let me know when you hit the Sacramento region. There's a nice brewhouse there in Davis and I'll make good on that beer I owe you. I'm off to the P&P now for the kickdown coil after a cuppa!

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
AzimuthAviation said:
You would not believe how crazy my schedule between the airline and my business is. Throw in the family commmitments and you'd think that a Stanley Kubrick movie would make more sense. I'll start hitting you up for parts as I know your garage goes pretty deep. I had a hard time finding a 6000rpm relay and the thought of going new on that exceeded a pilot's sense of economics. Did you know that copper wire was invented when two pilots got into a fight over a copper penny found in a jetway? On-line parts houses and ebay are my friends when I'm on a trip.

Let me know when you hit the Sacramento region. There's a nice brewhouse there in Davis and I'll make good on that beer I owe you. I'm off to the P&P now for the kickdown coil after a cuppa!
I can definitely get you most relays, plus I know of a Euro 500 that could yield some useful parts. I should be in SAC on Friday but in the Bay area for sure, Wed-Sun. If you pm me your cell #, I'll give you a holler when things become more concise.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HeirKranz said:
cmon post some pics!!! I need to do this on mine---both the FGS and the relay for 6,000
I'm lazing in San Francisco today. Rough trip! The fuel pump relay was just a matter of replacing the 5300rpm unit in the fuse box, upper right side. The 500sel is a euro car and already had the FGSM installed. It just wouldn't work before because the kickdown solenoid on the transmission had a bad coil not letting the transmission go into first gear. The solenoid is located on the back of the transmission on the right when looking forward. If any one wants pic's of this stuff I'll be putting the car on stands again in a few days to survey the bottom. I think I saw a headlight washer line disconnected and want to give everything a good one over.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
I thought you had to saulder the box not just put in another relay--i did not know it was that easy---

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
25 second job on post 85 w126's as you don't have to open/close the fuse box lid !! :)

Not that i'm trying to race a pilot !!!

cheers
T

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
talbir said:
Not that i'm trying to race a pilot !!!

T
Perhaps somewherein time you might have to fly with him!:D

gr J

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
a3jeroen said:
Perhaps somewherein time you might have to fly with him!:D

gr J
Talbir has an open invitation when he returns to California. Late yesterday Kalifornia was able to swing by as he was up here on business. We had a good chat and we took the 500sel out for a short drive. We broke 100 between two roads along the side of Interstate 5 and had a nice g-pad demo getting back on the highway to turn around. We swapped seats but he unfortunately he didn't get much open road to get full on it due to our classic California drivers. We got to have a couple of ales afterwards but I had to cut the night short to help my wife prepare for a big business event today. It was a pleasure to meet another Benzworld member and he too has an open invitation to swing by the next time he's in town.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Thanks, I had a great time. Back in SoCal now.

The car is a lot of fun - I guess it mirrors its owner. Glad you salvaged this beauty, I think it's a unique ride. Thanks again for the invite and letting me take it for a spin - good meeting you and your family!

Cheers,

Kalif

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kalifornia said:
Thanks, I had a great time. Back in SoCal now.

The car is a lot of fun - I guess it mirrors its owner. Glad you salvaged this beauty, I think it's a unique ride. Thanks again for the invite and letting me take it for a spin - good meeting you and your family!

Cheers,

Kalif
Thanks Kalifornia! Again, the next time you're in town let me know. I'll refresh the ale supply and hopefully have more time to goof off. I'd still like to get some of the Benzworld guys lined up for a mini GTG with some cars, food, and of course, any favoured methanol concoctions. My wife's event ran from 0700-2300 between set-up and break-down. Good thing I got in to help her out otherwise she might have taken me out with her frustration! She say's "Hi".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts