Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To "Kain" who emailed me regarding my 84 500SEC AMG that is for sale, yes it is available and I tried to email you but your email won't go through. Send me your phone # or another email address. I assume you saw it on this forum site.:confused:
Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
WOW more pics please--- tempt us all for another pony to put in the stable-- man I wish it was not so far away-- wonder if it would make the trip to FL by itself if i flew out to pick it up (hold that thought I need to get a 12 step program like McBear or a 12 car garage!)

·
Registered
1984 MB 380 SE, 1989 560 SEC
262 Posts
HeirKranz,
You buy his car and I'll drive it to Florida for you........LOL! That would be a neat ride and an excellent adventure and cheaper than having it delivered. Then I could drool over all your cars before I came home.....

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
It is a real AMG. I have recently, personally inspected it.

WOW more pics please--- tempt us all for another pony to put in the stable-- man I wish it was not so far away-- wonder if it would make the trip to FL by itself if i flew out to pick it up (hold that thought I need to get a 12 step program like McBear or a 12 car garage!)

Well, I can tell you, I went out to Newcastle, California, on January 19, at Dave's specific request, to verify his claims that the car is what it is.
Here was my car parked next to it, by way of proof:

Notice how low the car sits. The AMG stance is noticeably more low and aggressive than on mine (on the right) which is lowered also, but with eibach springs.

A stock SEC would sit even higher than both of these cars..

(Dave lives in Rocklin, I live in Grass Valley, and Newcastle is halfway between those two places which is why we met there that day.)

And I can tell you this:

1. It is an absolutely, genuine, authentic, unmolested real AMG car, down to the AMG tag on it.

2. Furthermore the 1LXX xxx California blue plates on it are the ORIGINAL 1984 alphanumeric sequence for that year, giving irrefutable
proof that it is a LIFELONG California automobile. That means there is almost a virtual guarantee that it is rust and rot free.

3. The miles are over 200,000, but most of these are highway commuting miles.

4. There is a large pile of repair receipts and records that accompany this car. I personally saw and reviewed them. It was impressive.

Most used cars are advertised with "rebuilt engines" but in this particular car,
I personally saw, and reviewed the notes and receipts that proved the motor on this vehicle has been rebuilt.

Heirkranz, I can assure you, the car is everything it has been claimed to be, and in my opinion, for $5800, as a veriable, original unmolested California AMG euro car, presently cared for by its owner for 17 years, it is a remarkable find.

If you look at its stance, you can see it even sits lower than my car, which was itself ALREADY lowered with eibach springs.

It has the coveted euro HVAC euro dash controls, euro lights, euro bumpers and euro lights and headlight wipers, each of which are very valuable and desirable in their own right.

For a REAL AMG SEC euro, that is documented, unrusty, and has been cherished in a moderate climate, and is in a preferred color, this is the car.

If I had the room to park it, I would surely jump on it.

It is a very rare car, a geunuine AMG amongst the many "claimed" AMG w126 cars..

And I have no doubt it would make it cross country to Florida. You would have the time of your life driving it there, across country too.

I would like to see you get it, (since I can't myself) and since it is garaged in a city quite nearby to mine, if I could assist you in any way at this end, were you to decide to buy it, I would be happy help you and Dave if I could, IE, assisting in obtaining a PPI somehow, if you wanted one, picking you up at the Sacramento airport, providing lodging travel and meal suggestions when you are there, however and whatever I could.

This car truly deserves to go to some enthusiast like you who would understand exactly what it really is, and who would give it a worthy home.

Disclaimer: I have no personal interest in the sale of the car whatsoever.
January 19, 2008 was the first time I ever saw it, at the request and invitation of the owner, Dave.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
and I have the front dam sitting at the house! --- i truly do not know what I would do with a 6th w126 4th sec,(but at least it would run w/o having to work on it!!)

(I don't know if I could handle a second monochromatic car either!) as you can see in the pic my current projekt! (and that is all the better teaser pic most of you will get!)

Cascade, buy it for the rest of it to buy at a later date!! I have student loans to pay!!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1986 560SEC TT KS,1988 300CE,1990 560SEC 2nd GEN.KS.1990 560SEL AMG,1985 W126 [parts]
1,569 Posts
Thats looks like an AMG spoiler on the front of the black SEC.Must be nice!

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,008 Posts
Not only that, but I understand the car isn't your usual AMG with a standard Euro motor. The engine has had AMG hipo parts on it since Day One. Engine rebuild is fairly recent (in MB-ese) so the car has many many long miles ahead of it.

I seriously thought of jumping for this one, but to subject it to daily driver use (which is my intention for the next MB I buy) and leave it parked outside while my SL hogs the garage is not doing it justice. So I think a better candidate is out there.....better step up soon! :)

This is a timeless car. Even the same color/year as my project SEC.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Dave, one question, did the amg exhaust cancer out so a stock unit was put back on?, my first SEC I had, even though US model w/no motorwork other than the headers, had the sebring exhaust. It basically fell apart on me, only the tips remain in my home--

Your car with the sebring exhaust and front lip added, I'm sure could get around 6-8k for it easy --- too bad you have to get rid of it-- if I have to move though, my beloved vert will have to go due to space, so I'm sure this is a reluctant sale for you right?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The original heavy bulky cats were just getting tired so I had them replaced with compact units that are much more efficient at smog time. As far as the front air dam or "lip", I have the original AMG one that came with the car. I removed it due to nasty speed bumps where I worked in the past.

·
Registered
1984 MB 380 SE, 1989 560 SEC
262 Posts
COVET, COVET, COVET, D**N! I don't have the bucks to do this. Nice car David! I have drooled all over the keyboard every time you post pictures of it. My dream car for sure.

Someone buy this car!

Cascade should buy it and leave the Subaru out in the cold. Lets see TWO SEC's in the garage......Yep that'd about do it for me.

·
Registered
02 S55, 84 500sec AMG euro blk/blk, 89 300ce AMG wide body, 84 500se AMG, 02 Ferrari 360 Modena
47 Posts
Cascade left me NO CHOICE

Hey Guys!

My name is Aamer. I am new to the forum and own few Mercedes. I am fellow MB enthusiast. I would like to tell everyone that i bought DaveD's beautiful 500sec amg. I will keep you posted. I am picking it up on Monday evening after Dave does the smog. I had been looking for that specific car for years. Dave was a class act. Spent time and answered all my questions. I drove the car to my mechanic for a quick look.
Thanks guys! The car will be here locally and well taken care off.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,362 Posts
Hey Guys!

My name is Aamer. I am new to the forum and own few Mercedes. I am fellow MB enthusiast. I would like to tell everyone that i bought DaveD's beautiful 500sec amg. I will keep you posted. I am picking it up on Monday evening after Dave does the smog. I had been looking for that specific car for years. Dave was a class act. Spent time and answered all my questions. I drove the car to my mechanic for a quick look.
Thanks guys! The car will be here locally and well taken care off.
Congratulations and welcome. Don't be a stranger.
To visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' sticky on top of the W126 page will help to take advantage of the forum features.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
This outcome leaves me WELL pleased.

Dave had asked me to come and meet him in Newcastle, in between where we both lived, to verify and inspect the car, which I did.

Dave is a class act, all the way, and I feel that he only did not sell this gem because he did not wage an all out, aggressive marketing attempt to do so.

That car is the most authentic, original, complete, untouched, lifelong totally verifiable California SEC Euro AMG I have seen in many years, and I have been very familiar with these since my first bout with one, back in 1985.

This transaction is once again proof that nowadays, the VERY BEST cars quietly change hands on enthusiast forums like this one.

So long as Dave has no objections, I will phone Aamer to discuss this some more, tomorrow, as Aamer has asked me to do.

Is that OK Dave with you?

I am sure as the seller, after 17 years with this car, your feelings at letting it go are very bittersweet.

You can be sure at least that it is going to a good home, a worthy custodian, and true MB enthusiast, who lives in the same area as you.

I am well pleased. I feel that I helped broker this sale in some way, and with an outcome that is definately win/win (so long as Dave doesn't suffer any seller's remorse next week).....

So, Aamer, will you bring it to the March 29th Mercedes Benz Diesel Drive out of Sacramento, and throught the Sonoma County wine country?

Here's your invitation:

Spring NorCal Diesel Drive........March 29, 2008 - ShopForum

I'm an organizer, and this car will be a show stopper if it turns up.

Definately leave those blue plates on it, that is historical authenticity.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
WOW!!!

COVET, COVET, COVET, D**N! I don't have the bucks to do this. Nice car David! I have drooled all over the keyboard every time you post pictures of it. My dream car for sure.

Someone buy this car!

Cascade should buy it and leave the Subaru out in the cold. Lets see TWO SEC's in the garage......Yep that'd about do it for me.
Charlie, I would have, if it fit in there. And I am pretty sure, it wouldn't.

Also: Subaru Outback > snow.

I have only ever seen one other 1984 California 500 SEC
AMG euro this nice, and it was in 1985.

It belonged to my boss, a Judge, who'd gotten it brand new, and wanted it with him in Aspen for Christmas skiing.

I volunteered to drive it from the San Francisco Hall of Justice, out to Denver for him, and it was the ride of my life.

Car was Lapis blue/gray interior, with the Centra wheels removed and new Lapis blue AMG Penta wheels and $2,500 worth of M&S tires fitted for the trip.

WHEN NEW IT WAS A CAR FOR A MULTIMILLIONAIRE, and I used it as mine for a week.

The impression was so strong for me that I SWORE I would get a car like this one day. The obsession to have one NEVER left me.

Took me around 10 years, but I did get one, which I still have.

It is a car for the ages.

By a wierd coincidence, I ran across that very same '84 Lapis blue AMG euro SEC car parked in San Francisco's (wealthy) Jordan Park neighborhood about 6 years ago when I was out for a walk one day. I went over and looked at it, even the same licence plates, (2BWD564) were still on it!! The same car.

It had 88k on the clock, now, and was a sorry looking neglected mess. I was sad, having known it from new.

The guy who was my boss got bored with it after a year, and passed it on elsewhere (Multimillionaires DO things like that.)

The car is out of the California smog check system now ( ran the plates) and has been for years ..so it has either gone out of state, or more likely, been junked.

....Thus making Aamer's car even MORE rare.

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,008 Posts
Thumbs up to Aamer! Aamer is the one who sold me my '83 107 AMG SL prior to leaving for Dubai on military duty. Now he is back, and looking to get back into the MB scene. I am also aware he owns a '85 500SEL as well.

Now I'm nibbling on this '84 500SEC AMG same exact car with 147k on the clock. We shall see how that one turns out!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Nice to see it go to another enthusiast instead of someone that did not know what they were buying or will be careless--- I can only hope when I sell one of mine it will go to a good home

I have my sites set on one of the ones out of japan--but that will be a coupe years off--hopfully there will still be some left by then!

Nice stables by the way ----

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tonight after 16 years of ownership I transfered ownership of my 84 500SEC AMG to Aamer. I had it smogged today and once again it passed with super low #s, 7ppm for HC and 0.00 for CO% measured on the dyno @ 25mph. This car is or was my favorite car of the many that I have had. It is the real deal and a very solid car and fortunately it is in the hands of a true car fanatic and an overall nice guy. Now my search is on for my Toyota 4runner, as boring as that sounds it will better fill my needs at this time. Anybody interested in my 70 El Camino SS 454? Think of the great gas mileage you would get!! It's been fun chatting on the forum and I'll probably still poke in on occasion.
Thanks to all for the interest in the car and to Cascade "Jim" for the kind words.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Thank you Dave

Hopefully you sold it with "A right of first refusal to repurchase!!!"

Dave, thanks for the welcome you gave me, and the GREAT recommendations for mechanical and paint work.

On the basis of your recommendations, and an extensive interview and inspection, on Monday my SEC is going in to Tomlinson's Auto Body and Classic Restoration shop in Auburn, for some expensive, but first class, paint work, detailing and general cleaning up on Monday morning.

By the time it rolls in, and rolls out of the body shop, two weeks will have passed by, but it should look gorgeous when it is done. In plenty of time for the upcoming 3/29/08 Diesel Drive.

They sound great, and since I am paying out of pocket (non insurance) they cut me a break on the labor rate.

Thanks again, Dave.

Hope you check in here now and again. With your work, and long time ownership of one of these, you have a wealth of knowledge to share here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts