Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 500 SEL (r.i.p), 69 280 SE, 92 300E 4Matic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I recently replaced the small hose between fuel pump and what appears to be pressure diaphram. It was old and cracked and had begun to leak. I ran the tank low and drained the remaining 3 gallons into a can (and on myself). I replaced it with nice new hose and shiny hose clamps, put two gallons of gas back in the tank and a couple of tablespoons into the air intake and expected the car to roar to life. I have not been able to get any gas to the engine since. I checked the fuses and looked for resets on the pump. No luck. What am I doing wrong? It seems that the fuel pump is not running when I turn on the ignition key. Please HELP.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SEC: 1995 S600 Coupe: 1993 600SEL
377 Posts
Pull your fuel pump relay located in the fuse block, jumper pins 7 & 8 (see attached, page 4) to build pressure. Maybe put in another couple of gallons of gas. Then try to start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying that, turned over a couple of times. Having pins 7 & 8 jumped made fuel pump very hot to touch. Did not have any real pressure build up at tank cap after attempt. Is my fuel pump shot? or do I need to get more gas down into that assembly?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
It's possible the fuel bowl may be empty or low. If you drained the tank completely and put only two gallons in, the pump may only be sucking air. Put in at least another three gallons to get it above reserve.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
i've done waaaay too many leaky fuel hoses on CIS cars. it's easy to overlook the amount of gas in the tank. i bet these guys are right. if not, then you may have a burt up fuel pump. the gasoline acts as a lubricant for the pump. they don't last long when dry.

and cars don't last too long in ogden, either! is Washington Blvd. (a.k.a.- the vard) still packed on friday and saturday nights? i miss SLC alot.. btw, i used to live around Clearfield/Layton. i bet it's growing quite a bit.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
NüR-SPEC said:
i've done waaaay too many leaky fuel hoses on CIS cars. it's easy to overlook the amount of gas in the tank. i bet these guys are right. if not, then you may have a burt up fuel pump. the gasoline acts as a lubricant for the pump. they don't last long when dry.
Ditto! bring on the gas bath!!! I pull the plug quick and let the thing drain---out of all the benzes I have owned it seems that that is the norm --last 3 though were the original lines, so i had to grind off the brass couplings to use the original fittings and put the new lines on (custom cut to fit)!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Seems the pump was on its last leg. Was not pumping. Bought new Bosch, installed it this weekend, added even more gas to fill past reserve, jumped relay pins 7-8 (listened to gas filling lines), replaced relay, started engine(first try), checked for leaks. Everything is great now. Thanks for the advice fellas!!! :)

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes Benz 500 SEL
31 Posts
Gas leak.

So it appears I have some sort of gas leak, fairly slow. Searched the forums but could not seem to find the exact same problem. I took a pic. It is leaking from where the arrow points. Any ideas?

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
So it appears I have some sort of gas leak, fairly slow. Searched the forums but could not seem to find the exact same problem. I took a pic. It is leaking from where the arrow points. Any ideas?

Lift car rear on jacks.
Remove plastic cover.
Ck for leaks it looks that the hose from pump to damper is leaking.
Clamp hose shut coming from tank with a hose pincher.
It is not a bad idea to replace the filter, if it is needed.
If you need more info. ck under pump or filter replacement.
Easy job, regular tools needed.
Regards.
aam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts