Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380sl
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I drive my 84 380sl after it has cooled down, the temperature guage slowly reaches the peak temperature, then drops fast to normal operating temp, just over 80, this happens probably in the first 5-10 minutes of driving. Is this normal, or a possible sticky thermastat. It has never boiled over or stayed at the peak position. Thanks for any help.

2 other ptroblems of note, my radio stopped working, I think it may just be a fuse, but where is the fuse box. Also wanted to change my own oil and came across an oil drain bolt that I cannot find a socket for, the largest hex-nut I have ever seen, any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE) 2005 CLK500 (avant-garde)
1,928 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I'm planning on replacing the thermostat and the coolant next we...

Mine does the same thing. I'm planning on replacing the thermostat and the coolant next week. If it changes anything I'll let you know
[8)]

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
As for the radio, there is a fuse in the car as well as a fuse in the back of the radio. y...

As for the radio, there is a fuse in the car as well as a fuse in the back of the radio. you have to take the radio out of the car to replace it.
[|)]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Changing Oil

Yes, the oil pan bolt is an interesting design. I had to go out an purchase a rather large allen wrench in order to replace it.

I've since replaced the bolt with a Fumoto valve to make oil changes easier.

As a result, I've got this HUGE allen wrench which only had one function.

I'll sell it to you cheap if you like.

Send me email.

But if you need to purchase one click, I believe you will have to special order it. The problem is figuring out the size. I'll send you email when I get home.

As for the coolant, I'd try replacing the thermostat. It's a cheap and simple enough fix to try on your own. If that doesn't do it, check your coolant level and fill that reservoir to the top.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oil Pan bolt uses 14mm allen wrench

At least, an '87 560SL uses a 14mm allen wrench. I suspect it's the same for the 380SL as well.

Check with Sears and see if they've got something in that size.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Okay...here's the story from a tech guy that told me the scoop....the 380SL thermostat has...

Okay...here's the story from a tech guy that told me the scoop....the 380SL thermostat has a projection that centers the thermostat in the housing. For some reason this causes the thermostat to "plug up" causing it to not open at the appropriate temp. He advised drilling a small hole in the brass fitting in the brass part of the thermostat. I wish I could be more specific, but it's still early in the morning for me. If you need more info it's on the MBCA website tech forum, but you have to be a member.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Well, I changed the thermostat and coolant and pressure tested the system with no problems...

Well, I changed the thermostat and coolant and pressure tested the system with no problems....still performs as yours does. I guess that it's supposedd to be that way.
[?]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts