Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm thinking of buying a 84 300TD wagon with 206K on it. The cars seems to be in great condition inside and out...not mint but very good for a 20 year old car. My question is how long are these engines known to last and how is the overall reliability of the car? I'm fairly handy at fixing small car problems but am by no means a mechanic.

I've had great luck in the past with Nissans but hated the BMW 318is I owned. I'm hopeing the Merc world is a little better.

Also any idea what this car is worth? I don't want to pay too much.

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated.

thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
2x300D-83
54 Posts
Hello!

If the car is treated well you don´t have to worry about reliability at all. It ...

Hello!

If the car is treated well you don´t have to worry about reliability at all. It probably beats all of your earlier cars.
There are some minor things you should check though:
The suspension. There are often broken springs, in the front the lower ends usually snaps off.
Does the vacuum controlled things work. Shut off, central locking, headlights adjustment.
Look for rust behind the rear wheels around the rubber damper and in front of the rear wheels where the bottom plates are welded together.They are common places for rust you dont see by just looking outside. The car has a thick layer of PVC under the whole body that is a good protection but if it is broken the rust will creep under it.
The engine usually runs forever but the timing chain should be changed at least by 300-350´km.

One of my 300D´s has got 340´km on it and when I bought it, it had 148´kms. I´ve changed the water pump at 260´km. The rest of the engine is original, even the injectors and glowplugs! you just need to change oil and filters regular.

Dont be afraid of buying it, if it´s in good condition. You would get a lot of car for a small amount of money, if you can accept it´s not a car for racing and high speeds.

Good luck! / Anders

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Rear Suspension is Hydraulic

The rear suspension is hydraulic and is often non-operating. This does not in any manner affect the driving. It might be bad if you are carrying very heavy loads. You can usually tell if it is shot by the way the rear gate sits from the ground. It osts about $600 to fix it. another $200 for the hydrospheres that keep the ride smooth. If you drive it and it feels okay, chances are you don't need to worry with it. I've had two that I drove with the suspension in the rear down. No problem.

·
Registered
406/280GE/240GD/G320
925 Posts
rear TDT suspension

hi,

I'm trying to figure out how low it should be.

Apparently there is also a manual air pump lever to reset if it's been sitting for a while?

mine's got only 48,000 miles on it (1983) so it's definately been sitting a lot!

-mserpe

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Manual Re-set

That's a new one on me! You can tell by the way the rear is sitting if the bellows are collapsed. If they are working correctly, the front and rear will be in a straight line. Measure the distance from the top of the bumpers to the ground and the distance should be the same front and back. You can look at wagons on E-bay and pretty much tell which ones are okay and which ones are shot. The rear will be 4" lower than the front.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.