Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300SD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here!! I have gone through and taken out the factory dash/rear deck speakers and have decided that with these small 4x6 speakers I still am longing for a little more kick to the system. I am going to install a sub but am seeing a lot of banter on this forum about how to do this. I would prefer to install a sub or two into the trunk but am gathering that the gas tank and solid build of the car is eating up a lot of volume inside the cabin. What is the best method, brand or configuration? I do not want to be cutting holes or ruining the factory look of the automobile. Am I stuck if I am not willing to remove rear speakers or cut holes in the rear deck?

Need some help from the folks who have done this!!! Again, not looking for a competition system or be "that guy" booming down the street. Just want to feel the music some. Prime example would be how my wife's BMW factory system sounds. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Well, the only advice I could give would be to NOT, repeat NOT mount the amp/sub directly onto the forward wall of the trunk. The gas tank is directly behind that wall (between the wall and the back of the back seat). Screws into tank = leak = smell = BOOM. Most folks make a mounting board that they then put on the forward wall. There's also the possibility of opening up the first aid tray in the parcel shelf to let more sound in from the trunk.

Jono did a pretty high-end install in an SEC for a customer, complete with pics. I'm not sure, but his website might still have it....Independent Mercedes Benz service, repair, restoration and tuning shop in Atlanta - Renntech Dealer

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I personallly always cut up behind the rear seats under the rear glass on that "shelf". cut out 12" or 15" and mount the subs so they blast into the cabin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts