Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300E, 1984 300D
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this car and I'm trying to get it in shape. The car does not have an exhaust system... Period! Believe it or not, it's not that loud but it's running like crap. I was told that with no exhaust it's not getting the back pressure it needs to run correctly. I'm having a system put on next week, to the tune of $600 but does it really make the much difference in the way a diesel runs?

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbodiesel 212K or so, it doesn't work anymore :-)
216 Posts
yeah...not having an exhaust won't make your diesel run that bad...also $600 is way to freakin much to pay for an exhaust system...you are getting hosed...

the job will take, at maximum at an inexperienced shop, 2 hours...the parts will run at most a $150...you do the math...

i know lots of guys that run 2.5 from the turbo back with no issues...sounds like you have another problem...

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
$600 sounds a little high - was this estimate from a major chain shop ? Also, no offense, but you might want to get your hearing checked. Many moons ago my 220D's pipe cracked next to the transmission - almost had to yell to have a conversation. At idle, or going downhill, yeah, surprisingly as quiet as when the system was intact. Even just cruising steady not too bad. But step on the pedal -- time for earplugs. It makes a great MPG indicator, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts