Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 300D has been doing OK until I put the window down this morning. I went down & made a pop, not it won't go up 0r down. Motor has power & runs in both directions. Did I break the gear maybe?

I did take the panel off & have a look see but don't know how to get the motor out.

Help,
Dave

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,097 Posts
You are right you need to look inside and pull the Motor and the Window Regulator.
I PMed som info.

Also it would be helpful if you said what Window is having the Problem.

The rear Windows are noted for having Window Regulators that Bend; resulting in the Retulator Teeth getting badly worn.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
More than likely, the window regulator broke, that's common enough.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed. :(

It's most likely the regulator, and not the motor.
I agree as well, motor is still running it sounds like to me.

Sorry guys, I should have stated that it the front drivers door, that would have been a little more helpful.

What would I need a used regulator from Ebay if that is what it is?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,097 Posts

Sorry guys, I should have stated that it the front drivers door, that would have been a little more helpful.

Thanks,
Dave
New and new aftermarket Regulators are available.
Dorman makes some for Mercedes.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts

Thanks,
Dave
They didn't used to be this expensive, around only $100 maybe 3-4 years ago. But man did the prices shoot up!

Your Parts Search Returned 5 Part(s)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys, I ended up taking the unit out. It turned out it broke off at the rivets. A dorman was like 250 bucks & a new MB regulator was over 600 bucks. The guy that I spoke w on the ph told me I could get it spot welded & that's what I did. I went over to my bro-in-laws house & he let me use his Mig. So I'm off to re-install. Just need to time up the gears after I jockey it around to get it back in the door.

I'll let you know how this turned out.:thumbsup:

Dave

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I heard from a member who did the welding, that the regulator held for a year or two before going bad once more.

It was also the rivets. Are all the teeth intact?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,097 Posts
Hi Guys, I ended up taking the unit out. It turned out it broke off at the rivets. A dorman was like 250 bucks & a new MB regulator was over 600 bucks. The guy that I spoke w on the ph told me I could get it spot welded & that's what I did. I went over to my bro-in-laws house & he let me use his Mig. So I'm off to re-install. Just need to time up the gears after I jockey it around to get it back in the door.

I'll let you know how this turned out.:thumbsup:

Dave
I would have liked to see pics of the regulator before the repair and after!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I heard from a member who did the welding, that the regulator held for a year or two before going bad once more.

It was also the rivets. Are all the teeth intact?
Hi MBeige,

I did more than just a tack weld. If it breaks loose again, I'll grind off the welds & try again. For 28 years old, the gears are in amazing condition, very little wear if any.

Once I figure out what needed to be done it was a fairly simple job. I've never done one of these before. I must say that the MB regulator is a piece of well designed work of art. It's incredible to me how exacting these cars fit together. I expected to have to muscle it back together but none was needed. Just studied it for a long minute, hooked up the electric got the gears engaged & it went back together perfectly, didn't even break a sweat.

Very pleased w my decision to buy a W123. I fully understand how it's rated one of the top 10 cars that you can't kill & I'm very proud of her!
Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts