Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I found this forum doing a google search, and I tried to search the site pretty thoroughly before posting this, so I apologize if this has been covered ad nauseum....

Initially, I thought I was getting a big cloud of exhaust when I took off from a red light (only really visible when someone else's headlights are shining into it), but tonight I noticed more smoke, and realized that it wasn't coming from the tailpipe at all. It was building up underneath the hood, and then when I accelerated, it would all get sucked under the car so it looked like it was coming from the exhaust. So I cracked open the hood, got a flashlight, and looked around to see where the smoke is coming from, but even though it's obviously coming from under the hood, it was impossible to tell where it was coming from. Just seemed like it was the underside of the engine. I haven't been losing any coolant or oil, and my gas mileage has been up to par with what it usually is. The smoke is white and wispy, what you'd expect from coolant, but I don't appear to be losing any... Also, the engine doesn't seem any louder, so I'm thinking the exhaust manifold gasket is a-okay.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a really tight budget these days and I've gotten back into doing my own repairs, but this one seems like it might be out of my league.

Thanks in advance...

Brent

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Hello and welcome!

First I'd make sure the "white" smoke is really white--check it during the day. At night, things get a bit weird and surely things look differently.

Pop the hood when it's idling. Make sure the transmission is in P or neutral if you have a manual transmission. Mash the accelerator pedal a bit and watch the throttle linkages move. Now get down and go to the engine area. Try to replicate the same movement of the throttle linkages to simulate revving the engine (and producing smoke). That way you can see it w/ higher rpm rather than see it at speed. If nothing from there, check under the car. Make sure you're comparing it against a clean background so you can see the smoke. I'm sure you can smell it too.

It's near impossible to warp the gasket of these all-iron engines.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Karugs!

I'm going to give it a better look today when I get to my office parking lot (not a lot of great places to examine your car when you live in the LA area and it's all street parking). I'll post an update later... Thanks again!

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
Brent Turbeaux - 4/26/2005 12:53 AM

Hi, I found this forum doing a google search, and I tried to search the site pretty thoroughly before posting this, so I apologize if this has been covered ad nauseum....

Initially, I thought I was getting a big cloud of exhaust when I took off from a red light (only really visible when someone else's headlights are shining into it), but tonight I noticed more smoke, and realized that it wasn't coming from the tailpipe at all. It was building up underneath the hood, and then when I accelerated, it would all get sucked under the car so it looked like it was coming from the exhaust. So I cracked open the hood, got a flashlight, and looked around to see where the smoke is coming from, but even though it's obviously coming from under the hood, it was impossible to tell where it was coming from. Just seemed like it was the underside of the engine. I haven't been losing any coolant or oil, and my gas mileage has been up to par with what it usually is. The smoke is white and wispy, what you'd expect from coolant, but I don't appear to be losing any... Also, the engine doesn't seem any louder, so I'm thinking the exhaust manifold gasket is a-okay.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a really tight budget these days and I've gotten back into doing my own repairs, but this one seems like it might be out of my league.

Thanks in advance...

Brent
it might be a leaking downpipe. you need to remove the air cleaner assembly to examine it closely. you can then see if it's cracked which usually happens at the accordian section of the pipe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts