Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone with a high functioning A/C in their W123 tell me if the A/C in this car is capable of cooling the car on a hot summer day? I'm trying to decide if I should spend the considerable amount of money to get it fixed. Last time a reputable mechanic had the A/C working, he said it was running at full spec and never to expect anything better from an older German car. Once it was over 85F outside, the A/C was worthless.

In every older European car I've owned, I've gotten used to sweating out the summers. Should I do the same again this year? Right now, it blows warm air out the defrost vents and dumps gallons of ice cold water into the back floorboards. We're talking compressor, vaccuum system, everything. Is it worth it, or will I disappointed on a hot day in traffic?

Thanks in advance,
Brent

·
Registered
1980 300D
309 Posts
I too am a Santa Monica 300D owner with a non operational AC and have hot air pouring out of my vents, even without the AC on. I think the problem may be that the heater is somehow always on, heating the cooled air from the AC. I got a very expensive estimate for my AC system to be charged and running and don't need the AC - except when east of the 405. I think if the heating can be stopped the cooling will begin - just rode in a 300D with AC that worked like a charm...well, as well as it could, and the car was more than bearable.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I sit and melt on the 10 every afternoon. In SM I just crack the windows and open the sunroof and it's great. That's cool, I think there are a few Santa Monica people on this board.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Hello fellow Californians, I just drove today with my newly recharged AC and it blows ice cold when set to coolest setting! If all that needs to be done is charging the AC then go for it! My mechanic originally told me that the compressor and dryer might be goners after having no refrigerant since October last year. But after driving it today, I think it does take time for all the refrigerant to circulate and really cool everything. Yesterday was uber-hot and today was no different. Now it's colder inside my car than outside, the other way around from last week.

I once drove the 10 and sweated it out as well, after transferring to the 5 going home with afternoon traffic.

Brent, how much were you quoted? By any chance, I hear that R12 is much colder but you can't buy one directly off a store (you need a license, etc). So a trip to a trusted mechanic is a must. A 30lb container of R12 is like $1400 [:0]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts