Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
205 Posts
Put it on Craigslist, it should sell very quickly for the right price. People scour CL for Euro R107's... Happened to me with my 500SL and when I called on 280SL's that popped up that day, they were all sold. This was 2-3 yrs ago....
With time on my hands (us old retired farts have this situation arise on occasion) I trolled through the 1980-1989 SL offerings on Ebay a couple of days ago. Just basic curiosity really but it was a bit of an eye opener. Prices asked are quite definitely higher than they were a while ago. Perhaps some are a touch unrealistic but the trend is definitely there. The sheer number of 560's was surprising and the number of low mileage models on offer even more so, but there weren't too many under the $20,000 level even with 100,000+ miles and the general preference seemed to be offering cars at buy it now prices rather than bidding. The Euros also seem to be looking at serious increases over a year or so ago, especially the manuals. One "expert" dealer had a 1985 280 SL with 3 speed auto transmission - perhaps he didn't read the owner's manual, or could it be one of a kind? - for a pretty substantial price. Is our choice of classic ride finally undergoing a long awaited appreciation?

·
Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
184 Posts
With time on my hands (us old retired farts have this situation arise on occasion) I trolled through the 1980-1989 SL offerings on Ebay a couple of days ago. Just basic curiosity really but it was a bit of an eye opener. Prices asked are quite definitely higher than they were a while ago.
Did you look at the sold prices or the asking prices? Andy

·
Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
205 Posts
Asking prices only, my curiosity only goes just so far. However these were consistently higher than what I saw the last time I checked. Several of the BAT sold prices were pretty healthy too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check out this one that actually sold:

76 with 23K miles, no reserve, sold for $11,300.

There are plenty of cars out there that they are asking stupid money for, but you have to look at the ones that sold. This car seemed to be a very good deal.

·
Registered
83 500SL (Used, from original owner) 85 380 SE (new) 07 CLS 63 AMG (new) 18 GLC 300 (new)
116 Posts
As a point of info, where was the 560SL sold new besides the US and Japan?

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,450 Posts
With time, you could get quite a bit out of it by parting it out. Top for those who don't have one or lost it; seats, trim pieces.
I once needed some parts for an MGA and found a "parts car"; no engine, trans, top, interior fairly shot. I only needed a few pieces, but I bought it. Over a period of about a year, I used the parts I needed, discovered the need for a few other parts (wheels, brake discs) and sold enough to double what I had paid for it. Then, I called up a car dismantler, they came and took it away and gave me $50 for it as I had the title (state I lived in paid $ to get titles out of circulation)
NO!!!!

Stick on eBay starting at $5K and see if you get a bite.

If I had the money (which currently, sadly, I don't) and it WAS a 5-liter I'd be tempted myself. Heck, even if it really is a 280 with a 500 badge I might even try de-hydrolocking my spare CLK63 lump and stuffing that in. Plenty of shops in H-town who would fix those dents, take the body down to bare metal, de-rust and respray and in our climate it would last another 30 years minimum.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts