Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1984 280SL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I own an 84 280SL and I would like to know its value. Here's its story.

It was purchased by the original owner through a Mercedes dealership in Maryland in 1984, and the door jam indicates that the vehicle had less than 1,000 miles on it upon being imported to the United States. The engine is the M110 2746cc inline-six and it is paired to a 4-speed automatic transmission. The original owner maintained the vehicle at a Mercedes dealership and a European classic car garage in Maryland and Indiana until his passing.

Maintenance and work performed by first owner:
  • New OEM exhaust system (5/2008)
  • Transmission overhaul (5/2008)
  • Replacement windshield (5/2008)
  • Paint respray
The vehicle was then sold to by the original owner’s estate to a family friend in 2010. The second owner took the vehicle to a retired Mercedes master mechanic who runs a private garage in Pennsylvania where the car was serviced thereafter.

Maintenance and work performed by second owner:
  • New interior (seat covers, door panels, carpets, cargo area carpeting)
  • New dash cap
  • Speedometer/instrument cluster gauge repair by a specialty shop in California
  • Wheels refinished and powder coated
  • New tires
  • Fluid flush
  • All belts and hoses replaced
  • Air conditioner compressor serviced
  • New stereo and speakers installed
  • Transmission fluid exchange
  • New convertible soft top
I purchased the vehicle from the second owner (coworker) before he moved across country and could not take it with him.
  • The vehicle runs and drives very well. It starts on the first turn of the key every time. It drove from PA to CT while maintaining perfect running temperature.
  • It does not leak oil or any other fluids. The hard top is currently off of the vehicle in the same garage where the vehicle has been stored since I have owned it.
  • The car was in a minor accident in the parking garage at work which damaged the front passenger fender, front bumper, and the grille below the bumper. The car still runs and drives well, it just needs cosmetic repairs.
  • The car paint needs a respray.
Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Car is in central Connecticut.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1994 E320, 1985 280SL
105 Posts
Even with nice pictures it would be hard. Why would it need another paint respray? The first owner already did one. How many miles on it?

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,644 Posts
My guess is that 280SL has 200K miles on it - from what I read above - i.e. transmission rebuild, respray, new interior.
BUT, the 280SL euro version is indeed a very desirable model.
Also, the description reads that there has been a lot of love put into it.
Might make a nice purchase but that damage to the right fender, bumper, and grill is a definite negative.

·
Registered
1984 280SL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the lack of information, guys. It has 160,050 miles or so. The paint looks old - it's generally fine, but it seems likely that it would need to be sanded and resprayed. I don't know that a buffing would take care of what it needs. Will post pictures this evening. Phone is currently dead and I do not have a charger with me at the moment.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,260 Posts
A few things, while euro models are typically desirable, there are a few things going against you. Most notably are the re-spray, non OEM speaker system, the dash cap, current body damage, and the automatic transmission.

Since your miles are also north of 100k, you don't get a lot of love on low miles either.

The fact that it has spent its life living in cold and snowy climates also doesn't help either. Was the car always parked over the winter and never seen snow?

When was the last valve job done? Any maintenance done on the engine?

I don't want to be discouraging, but it's important to not get swept up by the Bring a Trailor 'flation that has been going on. The r107s that see their values go up on that site are garage queens and extreme low mileage examples.

·
Registered
1984 280SL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no delusions of grandeur regarding Bring A Trailer pricing. This car was never a garage queen - it has little elements of character from being driven daily most of its life. It has seen the snow - there is light surface rust in small spots on the car - nothing huge like rocker panel rust or rot or bubbled paint, but some light surface rust. The body is generally in good shape.

The car's engine was gone through with a tune up by the retired MB mechanic under the previous owner. There is no valve clattering or delayed acceleration - the engine runs quite smoothly.

Photos of the car are posted below. The interior is blue - carpets, seats, door panels, dash, etc., and all quite nice.

IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 1969 280SL(113)
91 Posts
I have no delusions of grandeur regarding Bring A Trailer pricing. This car was never a garage queen - it has little elements of character from being driven daily most of its life. It has seen the snow - there is light surface rust in small spots on the car - nothing huge like rocker panel rust or rot or bubbled paint, but some light surface rust. The body is generally in good shape.

The car's engine was gone through with a tune up by the retired MB mechanic under the previous owner. There is no valve clattering or delayed acceleration - the engine runs quite smoothly.

Photos of the car are posted below. The interior is blue - carpets, seats, door panels, dash, etc., and all quite nice.

View attachment 2610302 View attachment 2610303 View attachment 2610304 View attachment 2610305 View attachment 2610306
The trunk insignia says 500SL???
How about a close up pic of the front end damage.

·
Registered
1984 280SL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car is misbadged. It's a 280SL with the straight six motor. There is no documentation in the papers I have regarding a new trunk or a new badge, but it is misbadged. Should have specified earlier. photos of the damaged fender are attached.

IMG_2057.JPG
IMG_2058.JPG

·
Registered
1994 E320, 1985 280SL
105 Posts
Somebody added the 500SL's rear spoiler too. That only came on the 500SL's from the factory as far as I know.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,708 Posts
Somebody added the 500SL's rear spoiler too. That only came on the 500SL's from the factory as far as I know.
Also '86-'88 ROTW 560SL and 107.026 models (450 SLC 5.0, 500 SLC).

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,606 Posts
I am the owner of 2 280SL's, not for from you in NW CT.

Pricing is going to be problematic. R107's of any stripe aren't big sellers here in CT, in part I believe because there were SO many of them sold new here. You already know the challenges your car faces, chief among them the accident damage and the need for paint. With 160k miles, I don't see buyers lining up to take on the cost to address the exterior cosmetics. Having this done commercially is just too expensive here in Connecticut.

As she is described, locally I am not sure you could sell until spring, and then maybe in the 2 - 3k range. Probably less.

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,289 Posts
[QUOTE="ChiefRider, post: 17904261, member: 101541"
As she is described, locally I am not sure you could sell until spring, and then maybe in the 2 - 3k range. Probably less.
[/QUOTE]
Agree. Without a 5-spd that's a parts car. The Euro bumpers are worth 1K+ if in good condition $500+ for
the dash if it's not cracked. The rest whatever someone is willing to pay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
With time, you could get quite a bit out of it by parting it out. Top for those who don't have one or lost it; seats, trim pieces.
I once needed some parts for an MGA and found a "parts car"; no engine, trans, top, interior fairly shot. I only needed a few pieces, but I bought it. Over a period of about a year, I used the parts I needed, discovered the need for a few other parts (wheels, brake discs) and sold enough to double what I had paid for it. Then, I called up a car dismantler, they came and took it away and gave me $50 for it as I had the title (state I lived in paid $ to get titles out of circulation)

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,644 Posts
If it had the Euro headlamps, that would add another $1,000 to the valuation.
I purchased a 1981 380SL that I was intended to use as a daily driver and something
to fool around with. It had USA bumpers, Euro headlamps, poor shape, and unfortunately too much rust.
I sold the Euro headlamps for $1K, and got some other parts for my other SLs.
Learned a lot parting that 380SL out, and with the parts I gleaned from it got into
"bumper tucking" my other 380SL and 560SL. I also sold the Fuel Distributor for $100, a few other parts for $10 - $40, and still have a lot of other good parts in boxes.
Parting out is a lot of labor, fun labor for some who are really into R107s, and some of the
most valuable parts are so large they are not worthwhile to ship or too time consuming to
find a large enough container to ship in.

Your's looks like its in much better condition but it lacks the Euro headlamps, but it appears to have a
good Euro rear bumper. As a parts car I would say $1K, $2K tops. BUT, if someone who is a DIYer and
really wants a Euro project car maybe $3K tops. If it had manual transmission it would make it more desirable.
If your 280SL was in pristine condition, manual transmission, and had 65K miles $15-$20K.
If it was a 500SL, pristine and 65K, maybe $20K.
If it was 500SL, pristine, 65K and manual transmission, oh boy would many of us be all over it.

Its going to take a lot of work and a lot of expense to make that car very presentable.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,142 Posts

·
Registered
1984 280SL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would anyone here be interested in the car? With winter coming here in CT, we need the garage space for easy access to the snowblower and for my wife to park her car. Thanks.

·
Registered
1994 E320, 1985 280SL
105 Posts
Put it on Craigslist, it should sell very quickly for the right price. People scour CL for Euro R107's... Happened to me with my 500SL and when I called on 280SL's that popped up that day, they were all sold. This was 2-3 yrs ago....

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,142 Posts
Put it on Craigslist, it should sell very quickly for the right price. People scour CL for Euro R107's... Happened to me with my 500SL and when I called on 280SL's that popped up that day, they were all sold. This was 2-3 yrs ago....
I smell Fonzi soon.

·
Premium Member
1987 560SL
2,292 Posts
Hmm, that fender damage looks remarkably similar to my 1980 450SL that was struck in a parking lot by an unlicensed fellow who handed me a honduran passport when I asked for his insurance card. The repair estimate was in excess of $8k, so it was totalled. These buggies have rather expensive sheet metal.

·
Registered
European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
650 Posts
Tarp it out side and wait until Spring then ask $3K for it and only show to those who show up with ca$h in hand, it'll go quickly .

Selling it now you'll be lucky to get $1K .

-Nate

1 - 20 of 20 Posts