·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
Looks very clean... possibly true-mileage, too.

He uses the word "AMG style", so they may not be AMG penta's. Its got a front spoiler only.... and the stance of the SEC looks stock.

Price is on the high side... especially when the seller says "not many faults" with the car. If you're looking to get that price, the car better be perfect.

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah. probably just a euro with the spoiler and the wheels

but still, if it really has only 32,000 (well-maintained, garaged) miles its worth a look-see

·
Premium Member
W220 01 S400 CDI
142 Posts
The seller does not state the year in the ad, are you affiliated with the seller?

How did you come to the conclusion that it is an 1983 coupe?

Truly a 32k mile example?

What are some simple ways to authenticate original mileage? Other than carfax report, and the actual wear and usage of the car's interior, what can I look at to make sure it is a true low mileage example?

Just by looking at the pictures in the ad, I can see differences in the shades of the needles of the various gauges. The RPM needle is a different shade color from the minute hand on the clock, and the hour hand on the clock is a different shade from the minute hand. Is it possible that this flaw has nothing to do with the actual mileage of the car? I have searched other classifieds for low mileage examples and have not found many, the ones I did find, this color difference in the needles was not so obvious.

What are your thoughts guys? Any input appreciated. I am interested in buying this car.

Here is a picture of the engine. It looks very neat, but it is missing the connector tube to the air filter. Does this engine look like a 32k mile example?

Attachments

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
Hmmm

passed away 5 years ago, and I bought the car from his estate. I have only put about 100 miles on it since purchase.
So according to seller this car's been sitting a awhile. Good catch on the gauges - may have garaged winters the last 5 years, but it's seen time outdoors... here or in Eire. Which brings up other aspects to seller's story: isn't Ireland right-hand drive territory, so it must have been purchased elsewhere & imported to the island? As to true mileage, when these things got federalized - didn't the KM's traveled get zeroed-out ?

Others have suggested that steering wheel wear was an even better indicator of usage than the pedals, but it's been switched-out for a wood one.

No signs of cosmoline on that engine, which looks pretty weathered to me, for only 32K. Unless a real AMG motor and/or true mileage proven, IMHO that asking price seems wack by a factor of 2-3x. Can't blame you for wanting to jump back in the SEC market tho 'V'. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
The front end sits a bit high like my car used to. No?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,142 Posts
Yup Ireland is right hand drive territory. Its a good looking car, not sure about the mileage though. The numbers line up well at least, not wonky.

·
Premium Member
W220 01 S400 CDI
142 Posts
more pictures

Thank you guys for the input so far.

Mike, good call on Ireland's right hand drive standard. And Ian thank you for confirming it.

You are also correct on the asking price being too high, its way over priced.

Mike, or anyone else, please go into detail about the reset of odometer upon federalization. The first registration according to the the carfax I pulled was back in 1988-1989 year, with an odometer reading of ~26k miles. Then in 1998-2000 with a round number of 30,000 miles reported, is that fishy?, exactly 30k. Then in 2006 the reported mileage was a hair under 32k. I know a carfax's use is limited with these old cars, but all clues is helpful.

mc Mike, what was the reason for your coupe's higher front? This one in question looks balanced to my eyes.

In the pictures below, the interior looks very clean. The wood is in great shape, however there are a couple iffy spots near the glove box. No de-lamination present on the rear windshield. Spots that are worth a look would be underside of the doors, in the holes in the trunk where the rear windshield meets the channel, and the battery tray.

Is that a USA rear bumper? It looks a little too far out from this specific angle.

Can anyone please find out what branch this car was delivered to? I have attached a data card provided by the Russians.

Attachments

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
From what I see in the pictures, thats a rear Gen I Euro bumper. I'm 100% sure of that.

The "I" decal affixed on the rear does not stand for Ireland... it stands for Italy. Italy is a LHD country... so its perfectly normal the way its shown in the picture.

The halogen lamp under the bumper is a strange one. You usually see that on US cars imported into Europe where they add the fog light. Looks like a fog light to me.. but being a Euro, it should already have that feature.

As to its mileage... hard to say, but the car is very clean. It could have been a car that was barely used which would explain a lot... but I wouldn't find it suspicious. If he has documentation to back up the mileage...then it should take care of your concerns.

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
Does this engine look like a 32k mile example?
I got my 500SE when it had 33k miles on it; all original. The engine bay has never been cleaned, it's just been kept this way for twenty-five years. Compare and contrast:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The seller does not state the year in the ad, are you affiliated with the seller?

How did you come to the conclusion that it is an 1983 coupe?

Truly a 32k mile example?

What are some simple ways to authenticate original mileage? Other than carfax report, and the actual wear and usage of the car's interior, what can I look at to make sure it is a true low mileage example?

Just by looking at the pictures in the ad, I can see differences in the shades of the needles of the various gauges. The RPM needle is a different shade color from the minute hand on the clock, and the hour hand on the clock is a different shade from the minute hand. Is it possible that this flaw has nothing to do with the actual mileage of the car? I have searched other classifieds for low mileage examples and have not found many, the ones I did find, this color difference in the needles was not so obvious.

What are your thoughts guys? Any input appreciated. I am interested in buying this car.

Here is a picture of the engine. It looks very neat, but it is missing the connector tube to the air filter. Does this engine look like a 32k mile example?
that does not look like a 33k mile engine unless it's been sitting on a dirt road:D. though i expect a 33k mile car to look brand new..

look at the top left and bottom left pictures. the tires looks like it has been raised 3 inches on the passenger side lmao. i'd personally rather pay $5-8k on one that has 80-100k miles on it and hasn't sat for 5 years then have $10k-7k to keep it running perfectly. i can't stand the thought of engine oil sitting in the bottom of an engine for 5 years.

·
Premium Member
W220 01 S400 CDI
142 Posts
From what I see in the pictures, thats a rear Gen I Euro bumper. I'm 100% sure of that.

The "I" decal affixed on the rear does not stand for Ireland... it stands for Italy. Italy is a LHD country... so its perfectly normal the way its shown in the picture.

The halogen lamp under the bumper is a strange one. You usually see that on US cars imported into Europe where they add the fog light. Looks like a fog light to me.. but being a Euro, it should already have that feature.

As to its mileage... hard to say, but the car is very clean. It could have been a car that was barely used which would explain a lot... but I wouldn't find it suspicious. If he has documentation to back up the mileage...then it should take care of your concerns.
Thanks Doc, your explanations really help put the pieces of this puzzle together. I appreciate the input.

·
Premium Member
W220 01 S400 CDI
142 Posts
I got my 500SE when it had 33k miles on it; all original. The engine bay has never been cleaned, it's just been kept this way for twenty-five years. Compare and contrast:

Wow what a clean engine bay, Brian. This was very thoughtful! Can you please send me a copy to my email? I sent you my email in a PM, thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts