Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All!

Being the good guy and doing some preventaive maintenance, I flushed the SD's brake system about two weeks ago with a DOT3/4 synthetic brake fluid (Valvoline) until it ran clear. Used the Mighty Vac for the first time and didn't have to compromise the male sanctity of the garage by having the wife come out to pump the brakes. The thing that sucks, yesterday that I got a brake warning light and opened the hood to find the level low. Today I pulled the front wheels after finding streaks on the insides of the front tires. BOTH calipers are leaking. Of course, I've got the Bendix calipers and no one has the kits in stock locally. I was going to drive the car to work 185 miles in the morning but now I'll have to drive the AMG without aircon and in need of an alignment. ARGH!!!

Any tips on rebuilding these things? They look to be straight forward dual piston calipers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
I have an '83 300Sd too and yes, I had to change out the calipers on mine recently because the pistons were sticking and brakes were dragging. After thinking about rebuilding the calipers, I decided to get rebuilt calipers with lifetime warranty. they sell these as"loaded pairs" complete with installed pads. You can get them at Auto Zone for about $ 110/ pair. I also installed new brake hoses. According to one parts catalog, SDs only come with Bendix rear calipers. My front ones were ATE.

My brakes work really well now. If you buy the rebuild kits, you only get the piston seal and the dust seal. They do not include the O ring seal or whatever they use between two caliper halves to seal the fluid passages. I wonder why.

Anyway, I replaced all rotors, calipers with pads, and brake hoses. Also repacked the front wheel bearings and replaced the front wheel grease seals.

Now I have to do the same &^%$# thing on the '85 300DT.:(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts