Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, just bought the sweetest machine...as the story goes little old lady bought it new, kept it garaged, drove it ~6K/year, passed away her mechanic bought it kept it for a few years and then I happened upon it...talk about sweet...25 year old car, 162K miles on it, everything works, the paint is like new, under the hood is pristine...boy did I get lucky or what!!!

Ok, I've had it now for about 2 months, summer is coming on and I live in Texas and the clutch on the AC compressor is going out, makes a horrible sounds, found a compressor with the clutch assembly for not a bad price, want to replace it myself but need directions and I've got a garage that will depressurize and then refill for only $50......I know someone out there can help me with detailed instructions...

This is my 3rd mercedes all have been 300D models, a 79 non-turbo which was wrecked, an 83 which the timing chain messed up at 400K miles, engines not totally blown so we pulled the engine out of the 79 and will put into the 83 and rebuild that engine...love these automobiles, best I've ever driven and won't drive anything else from now on...I'm totally ruined, in a good way:)

Appreciate any help you can give...my husband is a mechanic and loves working on these cars, easy and parts are readily available...so when we do a project we'll get pictures and put them out there for the rest of you...drive:)

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
A/C compressor is not too bad.

Raise up the car, remove the lise from the back, loosen the belt by loosening three mounting bolts and then loosening the belt tensioner. Then remove all the bolts. Compressor pretty much falls out then. It's a pain to get ti to line up during reassemble because of the spacers.

Replace the drier as well. Recharge w/R-12 if possible. IF going w/r134, get the thicker GM rated oil or the BG Frigiquite from your local BG rep. A Hodyon (Hancock Industries) compressor is a good one to get. New is $220 to $250. Just have to watch for the stepped ports though.

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
If it's working find now except for the clutch why go though all that when he can just replace the clutch. Most compressors you can replace the clutch pulley without having to discharge or remove compressor.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome, all the info is much appreciated,,,I'll really be "cool" now...thanks and happy driving...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts