Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just under a month ago I bought an 83 300D. The engine was replaced a couple years ago with the 85 model (the oil pump, unbeknownst to the previous owner, failed and necessitated the new engine). <br><br>
I fully expected to invest some money into repairs right off the bat, but I seem to be looking at a new transmission if I keep my current mechanic. Like several other 300D owners I have seen listed here, my car has problems changing gears consistently: it revs as it slips between 1+2 and 2+3, then goes ka-chunk as I approach stopping speeds (I am assuming when it is going back into 1st). The problems go away after the car has been running for 20 minutes or longer.<br><br>
<br><br>
There are two problems in all: The first is the mechanical problem itself. Is this a vacuum modulator problem or do I need a new transmission? Are there any tests a mechanical simpleton like myself can perform to find out?<br><br>
<br><br>
Second, my mechanic completely blows me off when I suggest there may be vacuum issues causing this problem. He is very insistent (without investigating further) that the car needs a new transmission (and he knows just the place to get them, of course). Should I get a different mechanic?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
since owning our 300d (dec 2000)we have had so many problems, too many to list.<br> Small ithings like glow plugs cost up to AUD$300 to replace. rip off<br> <br> As well we have shopped around for different mechanics. ask around<br> its taken us 5 different places to find the right one. <br> their cheap and know merc's esp. 300d's inside out<br> the boss once worked for merc for 12 years.<br> need i say more<br> <br> now we have a diff. spesialist for;<br> suspension and steering<br> ckeck ups etc.<br> tires<br> and air con<br> <br> after the latest service i couldnt believe it was the same car<br> eg// the gears changed at exactly the right time<br> before i had to manually use the gear into S and L to hold the revs when going up hills.<br> its almost as if the car knows there is a hill comming up and stays in 3rd at 50 or 60km/h<br> <br> the other day i went up the steepest hill in east sydney in 3rd at a steady speed of 40km/hr with out dropping down to 2nd<br> <br> i dont think ive ever used 1st<br> <br> go to as many people as poss to get quotes <br> good luck<br> louis<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: 83 300D and mechanic advice

Thanks for the advice... It does (and doesn't) sound relatively inexpensive to correct the shifting problems.<br> The other problem (the mechanic) is more serious: we have very few mechanics that will voluntarily service Mercedes and fewer still that are qualified to do so. I'll keep digging, though-- you've given me good hope that I will find one!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 1982 300D with the transmission going out like your's. Runs great after 15 minutes. A friend of mine owns a tranny shop and explained that when this happens, the seals in the transmission have gotten hard. Its takes some heat to soften them up so the tranny shifts right. He won't even work on mine car. His shop orders the rebuilt tranny's from a special rebuilder. He says that they are very hard to work on. Good luck in getting your's running right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.