Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a current owner of an old '83 240D automatic, which is indestructable. I love her. There's only one problem. The tranny won't shift unless I let off the gas each time I want it to shift. Taking it easy is better but not good in 3rd and 4th gear. Trying to give full throttle is hopeless in all gears. What's wrong? I've had it into the shop once...no luck. Is it a vacuum problem, which I've been told? Should I just replace the tranny? I am looking at a '95 C220 and was wondering if anyone knows anything about these models. I just think the newer ones would not be as good. My '83 has 121K and the '95 has 117K. Seems like a no brainer to keep the '83. Any suggestions or warnings? <br> Thanks, <br> Chris

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if u drive you merc like a race car, that is flooring it at every light, it will rev up like mad then change. it is ok to let the gas off abit to let the gear change, the car will like u for it more and wil last longer.<br> <br> its when u takethe gass off abit and the gear dosent change is when u have prob;ems, like mine which seems to have a soft spot for 2nd gear.<br> <br> when rolling down the hill (in drive with minor acceleration) it wont change untill about 45km/h<br> <br> louis

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris,<br> <br> Keep the '83 just scrap the auto trans and pick up the 4 speed 240D trans, peddle assembly, and shift mechansim. Swapping those components is a snap. You'll also need the drive shaft from the sacrificial 240D and don't disconnect the two halves without marking their relationship with paint. If you thought you loved your 240D with the auto trans, wait until you have the manual. Love at first shift.<br> Ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.