Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'83 240D Auto 67k; '83 240D Manual 97k; '83 240D Manual 198k; '83 240D Manual 340k; '81 300D; S420
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching (using: manual transmission linkage bushings adjustment etc.) but didn't find what I need help with.

I just got a 240D daily driver and from the first drive had issues getting the shifter into reverse. Today I replaced the rubber and nylon bushings under the car. Now I noticed the interior trim moving when I try to put the shifter in reverse and the neutral area has changed. Getting it into reverse is now harder than before and I'm sure the interior trim isn't supposed to move. Also, the neutral area between first and second is not inline with the neutral area for third and fourth. The center part of the "H" isn't straight across anymore. I hit a wall and have to go up a little then over some more to get it from 2nd to 3rd.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get this back to where it should be?

Thank you very much.

·
Banned
2003 Mercedes S430
806 Posts
Check your engine and transmission mounts. They are probably gone and causing misalignment with the shift mechanism.

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1974 240D
501 Posts
you should put everything back to neutral and readjust the linkage bars. There is a provision under the stick to lock all three linkage arms together for adjustment, you can see in this pic (W201 shifter, but same principle), to the right and the left of the for arms, are plastic bosses that match holes through the arms themselves. You can put a rod through them and lock them in place.

There are proper adjustment procedures in the FSM, but id probably wing it and put all the levers on the transmission straight up and down (neutral), and put all the levers on the stick in the same orientation (neutral), and see how off my actual connecting linkage bars are, and adjust accordingly.

Attachments

·
Registered
'83 240D Auto 67k; '83 240D Manual 97k; '83 240D Manual 198k; '83 240D Manual 340k; '81 300D; S420
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll try to get everything back to neutral as you described.

Any guesses why reverse is moving the center console trim though? This seems very unusual for this to happen to me......

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1974 240D
501 Posts
see if some crap or coins or something got under the shift boot and is holding up the mechanism, or maybe pushing back on the console. There should be plenty of room for the shifter to work without moving the console. If you peel back the boot, you should be able to see if something is down there thats not supposed to be, or if something is wrong.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"dropnosky" Thank you for the picture and the post. I was able to get everything lined up by placing a small screwdriver through the slot and holes and then adjusting the linkages. I should have done some more research before I bought some of the parts. All I really needed were the nylon bushings instead of the whole end part of the linkage. The new ends were not the same length as the old one and made the linkage different lengths. I ended up pulling the new nylon bushings out of the new ends and putting them into the old ends. I also had trouble getting the new ends to adjust past the body ( the threaded linkage bar would not go past the open end).

I'm not sure why the picture rotated but you can see how they are different lengths. Also, all I needed was the nylon bushing.....

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also saw what was going on with the reverse issue. The white plastic piece is moving when put into reverse and I'm pretty sure this is not what is supposed be going on. Can anyone identify what the problem is and the easiest way to fix it?

Again I don't know why the pictures are rotating but in the picture on the left you can see where the white plastic piece is touching the console even when the shifter is in neutral. Then on the picture on the right the white plastic piece is moving the console out when the shifter is moved into reverse.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 300dt 1985 300 dt 1992 300e just added another 92 300e 1994 e420 1993 300te 4matic
2,506 Posts
you should put everything back to neutral and readjust the linkage bars. There is a provision under the stick to lock all three linkage arms together for adjustment, you can see in this pic (W201 shifter, but same principle), to the right and the left of the for arms, are plastic bosses that match holes through the arms themselves. You can put a rod through them and lock them in place.

There are proper adjustment procedures in the FSM, but id probably wing it and put all the levers on the transmission straight up and down (neutral), and put all the levers on the stick in the same orientation (neutral), and see how off my actual connecting linkage bars are, and adjust accordingly.
...this post has been a huge help to me. i just put a new clutch kit and pilot bearing in my 76 240d and 2 things happened after i started her back up to check the clutch.

first one was my slave cylinder gave out, even after bleeding it twice with a one man bleeder the pedal didnt want to bounce back. i totally didnt even think to replace the slave because i was so focused on the clutch, i just assumed it would be ok, the pedal was working fine before i took it apart. no big thing i bought a new slave yesterday, that should solve the problem.

i had to take one of the transmission shifter arms off like the original poster because i had to replace the rubber carrier the linkage end fits in. so when i put it back on its not facing straight up. but the golden info for me here is knowing that neutral is straight up. ill be sure to push the lever forward, then take it off and position it straight up. this cleared up questions i had.

and heres something else. in the 2 mb service manuals i have, neither one of them has a section on adjusting the shift lever so i used my library card to go online and enter the chilton data base and ill be darned , chilton had a graphic of 3 style of rods and transmission connection positions.

im just a little apprehensive and was freaking out that i did everything right with the clutch when the shift lever wouldnt act right after i started it up. ive had bad slave cylinders before so wasnt worried about that.

point is i dont know if my clutch works yet or not and im sure, i swear im sure i positioned the clutch plate in the right direction. i just wont know for sure until im sure.

i love that 240d

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a new white plastic piece to replace the old one I'm pretty sure is broken. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to replace this? Can this be done without removing the linkage below the car?

·
Registered
1984 300dt 1985 300 dt 1992 300e just added another 92 300e 1994 e420 1993 300te 4matic
2,506 Posts
...just a thought but is that the switch for your backup lights?

if it went smoothly into gears before you replaced the linkage stuff i would retrace that, jmo. the info dropnosky posted saved me anyway. depending on which trans you have be sure the levers on the transmission are pointing in the right place before you hook up the linkage arm(s). in my case the shifter inside the car MUST be in neutral and all the trans arms pointing straight up. i had a shift problem before i went thru the correct steps.

anyway is that the backup light switch and if yes do the bu lights work? if yes.....it might be the shift rods could be the cause?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you look at my post from before with the pictures you can see the white plastic piece is broken. It's looks like a top hat and the old one had the brim broken off and was not keeping everything in place.

The problem now is that I can't get it all back together. At the end beside the white plastic piece are 2 washers and 2 "disk springs". I have tried every way I can think of to get everything lined up and I had to take a break. In the second picture you can see the washers and springs. Does anyone have any advice on getting these lined up???? My nerves are shot! :surrender:

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I had to resort to some help but I got it. I took it to a shop at work that had a vice and some sockets. I had to buy lunch for payment but it's back together....

·
Registered
1981 240D Manual
1 Posts
I'm new to this forum, so greetings everyone.

In the six years I've owned my '81 240D manual, I've fixed countless things on it. Occasionally I've been stumped, and information online has enabled me to go on successfully.

Well, I'm surely stumped now, and I need your help.

My shifter will only work changing 1st to 2nd and back. It won't go into reverse, and it won't slide over and do 3rd or 4th.

With the front up on jack stands in my garage, I discovered a bushing had vanished from the shifter end of the reverse rod. I replaced it. But that made no change whatsoever in my inability to get to reverse, 3rd or 4th.

So I followed this guidance I've found online in several places:
1. Disconnect all the linkage at the lever arms on the transmission.
2. Check all the bushings in both ends of each link to make certain that they don't need replacing. If bad replace.
3. Obtain the "new type" clips for the securing the links as, once installed they won't pop off like the original ones.
4. Put the pin (A 6mm drill works for me.) through the shift mechanism once you've shifted it into the neutral position.
5. Shift each of the gear levers on the transmission into neutral and then reconnect the linkage. Make certain that all the new retaining clips are secure. Toughest part of the whole job is getting the clips back on.
6. Remove aligning pin from the shift mechanism.

But nothing changed! Argh!!!

So I disconnected all three rods at the transmission and reinserted the pin (in step 4 above). I figured with all three rods disconnected from the transmission, and with the pin inserted so that all three shift levers were aligned, I should be able to slide the shifter left and right in the neutral position. But I cannot. it doesn't budge left and right.

I have loosed the boot at the base and pulled it wrong-side out above the shifter knob to gain access to the top of the shifting mechanism. I double- and triple-checked to ensure no foreign objects had found their way down into a position that would prevent the shifter from moving left and right; but I find nothing at all.

I do note that the bar the shifter slides left and right on seems a bit loose on the driver's side where it goes into a larger black "housing" (the contents of which I know nothing about).

I also removed the retaining clip and lifted the shifter rod (with spring, etc.) up out of the housing it sets in, saw no problems, and put it back into place.

So I'm thinking the problem's with the shifter assembly somehow. But before I start taking that apart, being unsure it's the problem and, frankly, not knowing what I'm getting into, I'm asking for your help first.

Can anybody advise me how to proceed from here?

Thanks very much in advance!

·
Registered
1983 240d
2 Posts
shifter still not working on MB240d, 1983, 4 speed manual

I've replaced some worn out bushings and washer (total 3) on my car and now it won't get to the 3-4 gears. I think the 3-4 intermediate linkage is not lining up with the pin in the shift tube.

Any thoughts?

Here is drawing.

Êàòàëîã MERCEDES

Thanks

·
Registered
1983 240d
2 Posts
Just to update everyone. The shifter assembly, etc. is all put back together and car is in good running order on my 1983 MB240d, 4 speed manual. We had some confusion with what shifting linkages went with the intermediate shifting linkages. The diagram in book and my car aren't the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts