Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I'm looking at an '82 Turbo Diesel wagon that may have been a California car (can't tell for sure and carfax only goes back to '00). Were California cars different than standard US-spec 300TD's? I read somewhere that someone had a hard time finding fuel system parts for his Kali-spec TD; I'd like to avoid that. Also, if there IS a difference, is it possible to identify a Kali car by the VIN#, or perhaps by looking at a pic of the engine compartment? I called my local Benz dealership's parts dept and the guy tried looking up the car but he said it was too old and the system wouldn't give him any info. He seemed honest enough; I didn't get the feeling that he was giving me a line of BS or anything like that.

·
Registered
1985 300D W123 Cali
1,408 Posts
the code for california version is 494, at least on my model. I don't think that there was a cali specific model in 82...certainly not a different turbo/air cleaner/transmission/etc like the 85s.

Fuel system is the same on all US spec turbos, I believe.

you can find the code on the plate in the grill area under the hood.

If you want to get a data card, call the mercedes classic center.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I also have code 494 (California version) on my '83.

Essentially, '81 to '83 and some '84 had the same engines. Surely, '81 to '83 turbos definitely had the same setup. In late '84 and '85 there were some changes. California models had a whole different setup in '85 compared to '85 Federal (non-CA) units.

Why did you ask for CA vs non-CA models? Are you looking to get parts from this car?

However, '81 and '82 are more related in terms of interior, while '83 to '84 were more similar. '85 had some differences in the interior over the '83 and '84, but essentially are quite the same.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,065 Posts
I do not know what year these items were installed on CA Cars but some CA Cars have a large and more expensive to replace Air Filter and may have a Trap Oxidizer on them. Both are up towards the of the Engine.

Real CA Cars tend not to have as much under body rust as East Coast Cars do.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I do not know what year these items were installed on CA Cars but some CA Cars have a large and more expensive to replace Air Filter and may have a Trap Oxidizer on them. Both are up towards the of the Engine.

Real CA Cars tend not to have as much under body rust as East Coast Cars do.
Those are found in CA version '85 300D turbo models. The air filter is behind the right side headlight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts