Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1986 300 SDL
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm over here from the w126 gang because yesterday I saw an lightly oxidized 240D in the trade in lot of a Ford dealership. I was doing some risk management work for them when I stumbled across it. I have not said a thing to them but I'm thinking this car might be available for low$ if I go straight to the CFO I've been working with. Looks like a cool around town ride.

No dents or rust. No interior cracks...just dirty. Original owner plates. Paint should rub out well. 311,xxx miles. Manual shift. No idea of records or running condition (I know, I know) but it was reportedly just received and driven to the parking spot. I'm sure it needs lots of TLC and I do most of my work.

So for starters any idea what $ ballpark these go for or start at? I was hoping around $500. Am I lost?

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 300TDt
265 Posts
$500 doesnt sound too far off... w123s are really a niche car and would kind of be hard to sell off in any decent amount of time... Unless that is they just run it through an auction.

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Potentially a great little car. From the 126 you'll know your way around. I'm using one as winter car/project right now, the SEC is tucked away until spring...I paid 600 for a 190K miles auto, Cali car with no rust.

·
Registered
1986 300 SDL
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's so far. I think I'll offer them $400 or is that really low ball laughable. Hard to think I could get a little old MB for less than my Costco runs (at least when the family goes..lol)

Also is 311,000 way over for the 240D. Assuming it is in decent shape mechanically I'd like to get another 30 - 40,000 miles out of the motor & trans with maybe a clutch added in...Thanks again...Rob

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
That is high mileage and if it has been "pressed", as many 240's have, it's nearly dead.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here in the Northeast that car sans rust would sell for around $2500. I don't see how $500 should be a top offer. 311,000 miles is really not that much for these cars if they were treated well.

·
Registered
1991 300zx 2+2 @ 129k Miles.
194 Posts
Here in the Northeast that car sans rust would sell for around $2500. I don't see how $500 should be a top offer. 311,000 miles is really not that much for these cars if they were treated well.
I wont dispute that statement, but If there is not service records for timing chains and proof of regular preventive maintenance, than a buyer should assume the worst. One owner is a plus toward the equation in my mind....But short of death, trading in a car that runs good seems absurd. I would assume there are some issues with it....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Fairly certain they won't accept a $500 offer. Not immediately anyways. Dealer will probably send it to auction. A running parts car can fetch $1000 in these parts and that one appears to be better than parts. I've got one with 309K miles and use it as a daily driver. PM me if you want to know what I paid for it. I don't expect it to go for another 100K miles without some major work, but do plan on keeping and driving it for another year or two.

·
Registered
1986 300 SDL
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a call from the dealer who said it would have to go to auction and can't sell it on a retail level as it "will not pass current smog and current safety checks". In CA the car is smog exempt? Regarding safety? I'm not sure what standard it is measured to but who knows. I think they just don't want the "potential" liability & cost to clean it up...On the outside/interior I think it would clean up great...Anyway so it goes. Thanks all

P.S. I'd guess the auction will be in San Diego. If anyone wants to know I can dig a little to find out where and when in return for the cool Forum advice...Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Got a call from the dealer who said it would have to go to auction and can't sell it on a retail level as it "will not pass current smog and current safety checks". In CA the car is smog exempt? Regarding safety? I'm not sure what standard it is measured to but who knows. I think they just don't want the "potential" liability & cost to clean it up...On the outside/interior I think it would clean up great...Anyway so it goes. Thanks all

P.S. I'd guess the auction will be in San Diego. If anyone wants to know I can dig a little to find out where and when in return for the cool Forum advice...Thanks for all the input!
Yeah, smog exempt. It'll probably sell at auction for less than $1,000, be polished, cleaned, new big O tires, and put on a lot on El Cajon Blvd with a $2,500 asking price.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would be interested in knowing where its going to be auctioned. I doubt it would bring 1000 bucks, most people are scared of that kind of mileage. Someone i know bought a 300 turbo diesel at auction locally for 500 bucks and it had 400+ thousand miles on it! It was in similar condition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts