Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1989 MB 814
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have an 814 horsebox. The tilt mechanism on the cab seems to be broken. I'm seeking advice on this. Is there anyone here familiar with the 814 day cab, or could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

· Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,427 Posts
If you can post a video or photos of what ”seems to be broken” is, we might.

C.

· Registered
1989 MB 814
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying. I know what I have is not a Unimog, but I don't seem to have a catagory that I truly fit in to! The reason I have a soft spot for Merc trucks is due to a Unimog 150 that I drove for a couple of yrs, for a tree surgery company.
So my problem is that I cannot tip the cab. This cab has two torsion bar mechanisms where it pivots. No hydraulic pump. Just unlatch open the doors and lift. I'm pretty sure that my problem is that the bar that joins the 2 mechanisms has snapped.
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Wheel

· Registered
1989 MB 814
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry I'm not sure why there are 2 identical pictures.
So what I'm wondering is, if I slacken of the bolt, the other side of the mechanism to the snapped bar. Will it release the torsion and allow me to manipulate the broken bar back together. So it can be welded up. Or am I going to have to replace the whole unit?
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Wheel

Sorry for the poor pictures, I'll sort some better ones tomorrow. Its been a hectic week!
Any input will be grateful received.

· Premium Member
U1000Ag
3,195 Posts
If truly a break in the torsion bar, welding might work in the short term, but I would not consider it a good solution. Torsion bars are basically springs and welding alter the metal characteristics significantly, to the point of breaking again sooner rather than later - probably better off finding a 2nd hand one or replace with new.

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
17,619 Posts
Because that looks like a hefty torsion
Bar,I think that replacing it has a better
chance of success than trying to weld it.
I just don’t think the welds would hold up to the stress. I’m no expert, that is just my guess.

Hopefully, you can source a replacement at a junk yard.

It is hard to see what is going on there
exactly, but it could be that corrosion in the mounts did not allow it to twist
correctly, leading to the failure.
I’d suggest thoroughly cleaning it all up and lubing it when you install a replacement.

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
17,619 Posts
I can’t tell from the photos. If the sheared rod is not a torsion bar, then
Welding it might work.

There has to be a reason it broke, so I would put some time into figuring that out, which might guide your repair options.

· Registered
1989 MB 814
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 2649525 View attachment 2649526

I'm guessing this diagram shows the parts we are talking about, right?
So #74 is the torsion bar in question.
74A 673 317 01 65TORSION BAR
CAB SUSPENSION,FRONT

[602]
FOR USE WITH SHORT VERSION OF MERCEDES-BENZ CAB
Evening Yarr. I dont suppose you can post the rest of the listing for these diagrams, could you?
That may help me figure out how much I need to strip down!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.