Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I've been driving my 81 500SLC and it's running a little rough. I suspect and have long suspected a vacuum leak but have not had any luck finding it.

The economy gauge is usually in the center at idle and the car runs rough when idling.
When cold, the car is hard to start and cuts out when you depress the gas until it warms up.
When warm, it still runs rough at idle but better then when at cold
On the road, it has good power.

I've tried spray carb cleaner around the engine to determine if there is a vacuum leak in the engine bay but I have not found anything.

The central locking does not work but this usually does not create these rough running problems, at least not in any other MB that I've owned.

I don't have access to a smoke machine so i'm wondering if anyone can suggest common areas for me to look.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Instead of an an actual external leak have you checked the WUR? Just plug the vacuum feed for the locks and econ-guage to see if it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks, I thought that it may be the warm up regulator. I think that there are a number of things going on here. Contaminated gas and rust in the tank is probably the main factor along with FD issues and a vac leak .

Spraying carb cleaner into the intake will smooth out the idle right away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts