Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, <br> <br> i have an 81 380SL with 170K on it with the original single timing chain that i need to get running again(it sat for awhile with a full tank of gas). So far ive had the gas tank stripped and coated and have replaced everything from the tank up including the fuel distributor with new parts and or throughly cleaned parts. <br> <br> 1. Where can i get fuel injectors/valves and idle air hoses and other parts at discount pricing?<br> 2. The latch mechanism for the hard has finally bit the dust and i cant take the top off. How do i get it off?<br> 3. Where can i get a factory service manual?<br> 4. If i can get ahold of a manual, how hard is it to convert from the single to the double timing chain?<br> <br> thanks for your time,<br> <br> Javier<br> www.maxrev.com<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We have the parts you need at very competitive prices. The single to double chain conversion is time-consuming and fairly expensive, but worth doing if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time. We also have complete service manuals.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Javier,<br> <br> Converting timing chain from single to double row is good a good idea, but it is a hard job to do at home unless you really enjoy it. I did convert mine. You have to remove all the things infront of the engine (radiator, fan, alternator, power steering pump, distributor, water pump...), timing cover. Since yours is 116 engine, you have to remove the left cylinder head (driver side) in order to take off the distributor driving sprocket. After taking off the big pulley and vibration damper, you see the crankshaft bolt (27mm hex) with 4 big washers. Use a strap with a chain attached to it and wrap around the hub, this is the only way to unscrew this bolt without a impact wrench. Some cases, impact wrenches can't do this job. Take out the timing chain tensioner, use a 6mm bolt and nut, 2 inches long to drive the timing rail pins out (the ones at cylinder head), and a 8mm to knock out the timing chain rail at the tensioner. Before taking out the cylinder head, remove the camshaft sprockets first. At this point, you can take the timing cover and the left cylinder head out. Be carefull with all of the socket head cap bolts, try not to strip them!!! I think you should have a manual to work with this job. You can obtain a service manual, it is a little over $100.00 at www.thebenzbin.com. All the parts needed are:<br> <br> Double row timing chain, 2 camshaft srockets, crankcase sprocket, idler sprocket, distributor drive, 3 in cylinder head rails, chain tensioner, timing rail at tensioner, lower left and right rails, O-rings for water seal between timing cover and crankcase, water pump gasket, left side cylinder head gasket set. You can shop around for a double row timing convertion kit.<br> <br> Good luck,<br> Kevin

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help everyone, i'll let you know if it can get it runnning again.<br> <br> javier<br> www.maxrev.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts