Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in the US and looking at a 1981 300SD,
5 cyl, 179,000 miles, Imported from Germany in 81 for Doctors wife. MB Dealer Tranny at 100,000, No Rust nice body, No Sunroof, both rear windows have problems, one dead other moves but will not close on it own. Needs Tires. Possible AC work needed, at least a leak. Two small tears in seats.
Can anyone give me a value estimate?
Thanks....gary

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Around $2500-3000 range. I don't see how its special that its "imported" from Germany. It wasn't a grey-market car as the 300SD was made just for the US market. Plus all Mercedes cars are "imported" into the US.

MB dealer tranny is a plus.. no rust is as well.. No sunroof is not really a plus. The window problems is probably something minor. Need to know what "ac work needed" means. Depending on where in the US its at.. it can affect the value of the car big time. A non-functioning AC can make the car go from a $3000 car to a $1000 car. Budget around $1000 for AC repair if you don't know whats wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told that the auto came from germany special because the wife did not want the sunroof. Maybe that just meant it was special ordered.
thanks...phal

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
phal - 5/4/2005 6:27 PM

I was told that the auto came from germany special because the wife did not want the sunroof. Maybe that just meant it was special ordered.
thanks...phal
Depending on where you are in the US has alot to do with it also. I am a car dealer. I just looked that up and at best 600.00. That may sound disapointing to you, however that's the book value on the car. The age and Millage and condition all affect that. if you restore the car to mint condtion it would only bring close to $2,000.00. Still may be a good car. None of my person cars I have ever paid alot for. I have always paid Book value or less for them, but have always sold above retail. When I do sale one of my personal rides it's mint with a Flawless Paper trail.

·
Registered
1983 300sd turbo/bio
26 Posts
My personal opinion is that 'value' is a relative term.Just look at EBay!! I just bought my SD and it needed more work than yours for $2700. Having an MB background hepled me notice certain things no doubt but I feel that in reality for a decent 81 SD in your condition $2000.......Any pics?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the price on this vehicle is more that 3 times your quoted book price, but it seems that every one of the decent Mercedes are overpriced by book standards. But what do you do about it? Anything approaching the prices in the books are rusty heaps or have not been cared for mechanically.
How about all the pampered vintage cars belonging to the people posting on these forums? I am sure very few are willing take book price. Thats probably because they have all replaced the A/C compressor and the two rear window motors (MANY MANY of the cars I look at have these same two problems)and by then have surpassed book price. As a dealer in a trade situation, you have something that the other person wants and that is definitely an advantage on your part. Myself, I am getting tired of looking for something with value. Is that a bad way to look at it or is it being realistic?...phal

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
phal - 5/4/2005 8:57 PM

Yes, the price on this vehicle is more that 3 times your quoted book price, but it seems that every one of the decent Mercedes are overpriced by book standards. But what do you do about it? Anything approaching the prices in the books are rusty heaps or have not been cared for mechanically.
How about all the pampered vintage cars belonging to the people posting on these forums? I am sure very few are willing take book price. Thats probably because they have all replaced the A/C compressor and the two rear window motors (MANY MANY of the cars I look at have these same two problems)and by then have surpassed book price. As a dealer in a trade situation, you have something that the other person wants and that is definitely an advantage on your part. Myself, I am getting tired of looking for something with value. Is that a bad way to look at it or is it being realistic?...phal
Nothing wrong at all with looking at it that way. I personaly never pay more than book unless it's somthing I just can't live with out. The reason being, is all the money I am going to put into the car. If the car has no rust on it, and no major body damage, and you are willing to pay that for it. I say go for it. Reguardless of what you pay for that car, if it's a used car, your gonna have to spend a little money on it somewhere down the line. The question is what can you live with. As I said before, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you are happy with that price and feel good about the car, then get it. If you do have questions try and find someone you trust to take a look at it with you and go over the engine. Windows and not a big deal to fix. Figure worse case, about 350.00 per window. But it could be something as simple as a switch, in which case you could be out only 20.00 and a few mins of your time. AS for the A/C. every Benz I have had that was older, I had to do something to the a/c. These are all little things in my eyes. But you have to be comfortable in what you want to put into the car. It can add up very quickly. And in many cases you can easily spend more than you may get out of the car. Sometimes you can go to a Mercedes dealer and get friendly with a Mech. and give him 100.00 for his time to go and look over the car for you. In most cases it's 100.00 well spent. If the car is rust free, the tranny is good, and the engine is good, in my eyes it's a car worth spending a little money on if your gonna keep it. If your buying it to resale, you may sale it, but you might not get what you have in it, and it might take you a little while. My frist project was a hard lesson learned for me. It was a 1988 300E. I bought the car for 2,500.00 It ran.lol That's all I can say. But buy the time I got finished with it, getting it where I thought it should be, I had almost 12,000.00 in it. No one has ever offered me more than 7,400.00 for that car. So I lost my butt. However it's worth 10,000.00 to me. so I keep it in the garage and drive it once in a while. it's all a mater of opinon. To me there is not a bad Mercedes, unless it's rusted out. Just a mater of how much you wanna spend. Good luck.

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
Also Check Ebay, and look at cars in Cal, and FL. I have done really well in those states, and the cars tend to go cheaped in those states.

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
I don't know where in the US you are. However if I were in NJ I would buy this car with out blinking an eye.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4546933200&category=6330

There are 22 hours left on it. However there is nothing you would have to do to this car for sometime. and at 3,500.00 with no defects it's a bargin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
phal - 5/4/2005 8:57 PM

"Every Benz I have had that was older, I had to do something to the a/c. These are all little things in my eyes. But you have to be comfortable in what you want to put into the car. It can add up very quickly. And in many cases you can easily spend more than you may get out of the car."
Man I have made money on tools, guns, houses, dogs, but never on a vehicle. I mean not one. I just chalk it up to the cost of having the auto I want.

I have also been watching the auto you have in your post. But being in Indiana and being unable to inspect the car kind of kills the thrill for me. The other car is in Georgia, but the owner is a common poster on another forum and man of the cloth besides (I guess that really doesn't mean a whole lot since I actually do not know him, but I feel somewhat secure that the guy is honest on the phone.). There are a lot of horror stories about ebay cars. Dont get me wrong, I am a huge ebayer myself with 422 unique positives, no negs, no neutrals mostly from selling machinist tools. But I am still unsure of the vehicles there.
You could just sell me one of your cars with that big paper trail for book price. That would make me real happy. I'll even give you a micrometer or something to boot......phal
....gm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RE: 83 300sd on ebay

If you get a minute, cruise over to ebay and click the guys feedback on the merc above. REALLY REALLY BAD!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts