Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a local transmission shop that has the above car in front with a for sale sign in it. I stopped and looked at it, my son just turned 16 and we are looking for a 3rd car. I have never driven a Mercedes, so I don't know to much about them. It ran a little rough, but its a deisal so that might be normal. What I am really unsure of is that when you slow down to stop,or down shift there is a pop noise. Also when you put it in gear with the brake on it kinda "bows" up in drive and reverse. It has a cheap paint job and needs some cosmectic TLC. It has 198,000 miles and he is asking 1200 or best offer. Like I said I am clueless about Mercedes autos, any advice would be helpful.
Thanks,
Buzz

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
These are great cars but if that one is at a transmission shop and the tranny seems a bit off then I wouldn't trust it.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The pop you hear might be the flex discs that are going bad. And when you put it in D or R and the car tips up front or behind is normal. The torque of these engines are pretty high (as are diesels) and the cars have softly sprung suspensions.

As advised, I would pass on that since it's at a transmission shop.

http://mbdieseldiy.tripod.com/dog.htm

http://mercedes-w123.net/buyers_guide.htm

I hope these two links help, "Buyer's Guide" for the W123

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The transmission shop is a car lot also I guess I should have clarified. He has other cars on the lot not just the 300. What are Flex Disks ? And are they easy to repair ?
Buzz [:)]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Flex discs are rubber discs that connect the propeller shaft to the transmission and to the rear differential. These rubber discs eventually dry out and have to be replaced. If you're handy with tools, www.mercedessource.com is selling the flex disc parts with instructions.

But that does not mean it's the only problem. Read the two articles I posted, that will give you alot of info on what to look for.

Here's a good pic:

Flex discs are #30, you need two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good articles. I will keep them in mind when I go back to test drive again. And I have a friend that will let me use his rack to inspect. Thanks for the advice and info.
Buzz [:)]

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
If you're still interested in that car, I wouldn't worry too much about the engine running a little rough. If you decide to buy it you'll want to immediatly check, or have checked, the valve adjustment and fuel timing. As long as the engine isn't making any knocking noise, the rough running condition is most likely caused by a minor maintainance issue. Diesels need tune-ups also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts