Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might put 8-hole rims on the 126. Would anyone know of a good place to get them and would the 16 inch fit with no problems?

Attachments

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
i'm def thinkin bout gettin a set also cuz my rims right now are kinda boring.... tires.com, ebay, or tirerack.com would be some good places

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
They're available in a number of places.. The repro's even seem to be decent..balence out OK etc.. Plus, they're cheap enough that if you bend one you can replace it for less then the cost of straightening etc..

Jonathan

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
does neone know if tirerack.com will put the balancing weights in the inside of the rim rather than on the outside??? and mess up your rims??

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
I'm going to get 8 hole 16" rims as well. The cost of some of the other new wheels are just too much. I'd rather invest the difference into getting my 126 running as near to perfect as possible. I also can save money on having to get new tires when the time is necessary.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
I have 8-hole 16" rims on my '87 560SEL and love them. Mine are chrome aftermarket rims, 8" wide, and with 225/50/16s on front and 245/55/16s on the back, the car looks much better than it did with the stock 15-hole 7" wide rims.

One thing to be careful about, I put on spacers to get the tires out to the edge of the wheel wells and it took me a while to figure out how to get the vibrations to stop. It turns out that the hubcentric spacers weren't fitting well enough in the rims and let the rims go on the car just a little off center. A .010" shim added around the hub on the spacers got the rims centered on the spacers and all the vibrations are gone. Works fine but I believe the shims would drive the Germans (TUV?) crazy. Works for me though.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do I need spacers or anything special to make these work or do I just pop them on?

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
I had them previously they were from an 300sl(original rims) but the offset is et34 yes it does need spacers

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
If you get a set w/ the proper offset, no. You shouldn't have any difficulty in doing as much. Contact luke at the tire rack, he'll get you on your way in proper order..

I'm not much of a fan for spacers, although the fellow who runs Gil Racing makes the Only spacers I would ever consider using

http://www.gilracing.com/

Jonathan

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
Jonathan
Why do you like these spacers??

I've never heard anything good about a spacer that is bolted onto the hub and the wheel is bolted to the spacer using another set of bolts - too many bolts involved and a possibility of flex then failure in the spacer under hard use. These might be satisfactory for the thicker widths, but 15mm and less thickness spacers would take some extremely good metal to not fail under normal use unless it is something as heavy and strong as steel.

I like using proper strength longer bolts and a good quality spacer, the job's done with five bolts. I could be wrong (again), so.... enlighten me! :)

FYI, here's a photo of my '87 560SEL with 8-hole 8x16"rims, using 5mm spacers on the front and 20mm spacers on the back. The front suspension has been lowered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts